Open brain

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by paulg, Apr 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

how do you test your salinity is it by refractometer or by hydrometer I know if I let mine get to high the brains are anything but happy this can also cause resession of tissue

I know my deep6 hydrometer reads .005 low checked against a couple of diff refractometers so i set my salinity according usualy at 1.024 to 1.026

2. Click Here!

3. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

hydrometer, thinnk thats a bit high for the brains?.........1.026? It seems to come up a bit during the day when all my lights are on. But usually ranges anywhere from the 1.024-1.026 as you stated.

4. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

have you ever checked it for accuracy against a refractometer if not I would highly sugest it they are known for beeing off

5. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Here is one picture for now.. I am trying to get a better one.. what do you think.. any hope for it?

Attached Files:

6. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

hard to tell with all the actinic lighting dose it still have tissue there the pic almost looks like it is just skeleton

7. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Yes it does just, one side has tissue around the edges and bare towards the mouth. The other side has more tissue. Probably a goner eh?.......Figures the 2 corals i`ve always wanted, I got for free buying other stuff and they didnt make it. I guess on the plus side, all the other stuff I got is flourishing! Just sucks to see something so beautiful die, knowing you cant do squat about it.

8. Click Here!

9. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

not nessicaryly a gonner if you were close to me I would say bring it over here and I would try to nurse it back to health for ya

or if you have any reefer friends with older well established tanks see if they would do this for you

one more question is what is the location to the tank and how much light is it getting

10. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

The tanks been set up for 9 years, aprox 60lbs of LR, I have never had any trouble with any other corals but then again I only have softies. I run a total 765 watts of light, 2-250 watt MH, 4-65 watt CF and the rest of the wattage is made up of moon lights. Think I can do the dips everyday or every other?. Then again if it wont eat again its doomed. I`m going to try and feed it tonight, i`ll mince some stuff up. Place a cut top of a 2 liter bottle over it with the pouring hole on top and squirt some food in there. Atleast if it has any chance to feed it will be able to then.

11. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

sorry paulg I must have forgoten what all you said in the first post that you just repeated

do you have any dt's phytoplankton if so try a small squirt of that with the popbottle trick

dose the brain open up and extend its tenticals at all

12. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Well, I dont think it made it. It was placed at the bottom of the tank, more in the middle, front. Thanks again