Open brain

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by paulg, Apr 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Well I posted earlier about 2 corals I got free from someone tearing their tank down and both were looking sick. 1 plate coral which didnt make it and 1 open brain coral. The brain is having some tissue problems and receeding. I have read that Iodine can help, 40 drops in a 1 gallon of tank water. Problem is you cant find Lugol`s Iodine on the shelves anymore. Apparently its a common product to make Meth with. I have found some Iodine tincture 2%, can I try and use this to save this coral? I tried to feed it last night and it didnt try to eat. Both mouths on the coral are open which I know isnt a good sign.

Tanks been up and running for years, its a 90 gallon with 765w of light. Only fish in the tank are 2 Clarki`s and 1 yellow tang. I have some other soft corals in the tank and they arent showing any signs of stress. I`m running carbon as well 24/7. Anyone that can help me with this coral would be greatly appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I lost one like this as well shortly before tearing down my 55.

I would suggest checking all your other levels as well such as calcium, alkilinity, mg, and ph.

4. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

all parameters are fine, i figured it may be drawing back from the MH. So i wasnt running them as much during the day as to acclimate them both to the new lighting

5. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

If it were just closed up I would say this could be a reaction to the change in light but since you're getting tissue reccesion I think this is something more serious. Hopefully it pulls through for you...

6. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

do you know if I can use that iodine tincture dip? or is it different then the lugols?

7. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I use lugols so I really can't say for sure but I do know from backpacking that tinture is just pure iodine. Don't know why you wouldn't be able to use it. Better get some more opinions though...

8. Click Here!

9. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Well maybe I will get some more posts. I guess it really cant hurt at this point, just called home to the GF. She said its mouths are open but still has its green color under the actinics, GOOD SIGN. I will try the dip when I get home using the 40 drops in 1 gallon and leave it in there for 10 minutes or so. I also was reading that some dip longer, more like 30 minutes. Any suggestions there?

10. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Boy I don't know about that. I'd maybe try the 10 minute deal and see how it reacts to that. What are you feeding this thing by chance?

11. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I tried to feed it some chopped shrimp lastnight, I will again tonight as well. Ya, I was thinking more around the 7-10 minute mark. Should I rinse the coral after the dip into another container of tank water that wasnt treated? Or just go right from the dip back into the tank?

12. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Also does 40 drops per gallon sound about right? As I said its iodine tincture