Open Brain Coral Questions

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PittsburghReefTank12, Apr 14, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

I would put a chemical in my tank if I were you. I would do a water change.... Chemicals In my opinion can hurt more than they help... You never know how the coral will react. If I were you I would try to find out what's causing the nitrate spike.... If you phosphates are high as well it is more than likely your feeding habits.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

Do you think less feeding and a large water change would help? I dont think I want to use any chemicals because i dont want it to throw everything off. Everything else in my tank os thriving

4. cody3819

How much do you feed? How many fish do you have? And how big is your tank?

DSC reef likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The main thing is being able to export the nutrients your bioload produces. For me, I like to feed a lot and my fish would thank me if they could talk. I'd refrain from throwing a magical chemical to rid the tank of nitrate and phosphate. Nothing good comes fast in this hobby. Take a breath and figure out the source of excess nutrients. I have a very large bioload so I run an oversized skimmer that's rated for 150 gallon tank. I run biopellets in a reactor to keep nitrates low and I run GFO in a reactor to keep phosphates in check. With out those reactors my reef tank would go to waste. Let's start with your current bioload and your means to export nutrients. Details are key to finding a solution for you. I wouldn't focus to much on the trachy as of now because it's gonna take time to correct the problem and get the tank stable. Weekly water changes are a great start and I do a 15 gallon WC every Saturday for years now, I never miss my husbandry routines. In time you will have it under control.

cody3819 likes this.
  6. PittsburghReefTank12

I usually change 2 gallons weekley. My tank is 24 gallons. I changed 4 gallons yesterday and cleaned to filters in the back of my tank (havent did this in about a year). I feed my LPS weekley and my fish dailey with mysis or pellets. I think im putting way to much mysis for my size tank.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If you have a hob filter then you should be changing or rinsing the filters weekly with a water change

cody3819 likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. PittsburghReefTank12

Thanks did not know that. I will test the water tommrow for nitrates and phosphates. Other than doing larger water changes and cutting back on feeding is there anything else that can drop both of these.

10. cody3819

Time my friend.... How old is your tank? A stable tank takes time. Some people feed there fish twice a day. I feed mine everyday but i do big water changes.... I do 5 gallon water changes every two weeks..... I would cut back on the feeding of the fish, when you feed make sure that they eat most of the food, if not all, before giving them more. And only feed a set amount.... I have 5 fish and only feed them 1.25 mils of shrimp a day, counting water as well..

11. PittsburghReefTank12

My tank is around 3 years old. I never had a test kit untill now so I never knew what my levels in my tank were at. I also was never serious into the hobby intill now. Big mistake but this was my first tank. We learn something new everyday :)

cody3819 likes this.
  12. cody3819

Yes, this hobby is a never ending learning curve.... You want to keep your nitrates in your tank below 10ppm .... Keep your nitrates in check, see fish don't care as much as coral. Coral is a little harder to keep.