Open Brain Coral Question~?~?~

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by ScubaBrett22, Mar 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Maybe he's in too much flow, but like I said, my other one didn't start with tentacles for a couple weeks. Have you looked about 2 hours after lights-out, or just right after? That's when most corals in the wild open (I assume, as that's when most of mine opened up on their own), but you can train them to come out earlier by dumping a bit of the shrimp in there about 15 minutes to a half hour before you go to feed.

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

KC, most people say to feed brains and other LPS at night because of 2 reasons.

1) after the lights go out, LPS usually extend feeder tentacles more, and 2, fish will be sleeping allowing the corals to eat the food you attempt to feed them without having the food stolen.

Shrimp don't really sleep, so they will steal food from your LPS.

1 person likes this.
  4. blackraven1425

Not a single one of my LPS other than one of the two Goniastrea and the frogspawn and torch opens up during the day. The other like 10 all open up at night.

5. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

My Battery's were half charged so i used them and got good pictures of the Brain!!

My Brain is elevated above the sand so not to worried more worried about the clown fish.

Attached Files:

6. blackraven1425

They really need to be on the sand. The rocks can hurt their flesh. They live on sand in the wild.

7. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

Mine does send out the tentacles in the daytime. I have feed it bits of raw shrimp, myas shrimp and reef roids. I have never actually seen it send out the tentacles at night.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Brains, even open ones do just fine on rocks. The bigger issue is the amount of light they need. if it is a lower light LPS, it won't do well if up higher in the tank under intense lighting.

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks for the help!! Scubabrett, sorry to hijack your thread for a minute! But I'm sure it's helpful info for you too. :)

11. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

Yup no problem!

12. blackraven1425

Here's the pics, taken about 5 minutes after I put mysis on the tentacles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]