Open brain coral question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by wastemanagement, Dec 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I am after some info in regards to onpen brain coral. Will they expand open far enought to dammage them selves, ie such as into surrounding rock work.
    Mine is opening up and realy touching alot of the rock near it could it dammage its flesh. It is opening much more then We realy thought it would.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

They will in fact injure themselves if the rock is sharp or if the water flow is too strong causing friction/rubbing or irritation. They are known as a meaty coral and thus care should be taken to ensure that their tissue doesn't tear away from the coral.

4. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

some pics

running out of room in 55g

Attached Files:

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i hear you there.i also have a 55gallon display and theres only room in the sand for my one open brain.they should be in sand cause they will blow up big enough to move themselves around on the sand using their flesh.sharp rocks can hurt them but not garranteed.mines in the bottom left of the photo.much smaller than yours.also i thought i would mention.i no longer handle it without gloves.my hand felt very odd after touching it.
    [​IMG]

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Open brain corals prefer to be on a sandy bottom vs the rock work. In the wild, when mature they usually are just relaxing on the sandy bottom of a reef. :)