Ooohh noo....

Discussion in 'Algae' started by surfrgirl61187, Jan 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

Thank you guys for this info.. I will post a pic of this stuff and you can tell me what you think... I would love to find a different solution so we dont have to start over.. I hate the thought of it.. We just started our little tank for the cycling process so we will have a home for the fish.. but it wont be ready for at least 6 weeks..

2. Click Here!

3. surfrgirl61187

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok these are the best we can get... I hope this helps...

1 person likes this.
  4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

No reefer should ever have to deal with this stuff. K+ for taking it on.

5. surfrgirl61187

Oh I should also tell you that this is the shortest we can keep the stuff.. It hard to pull off..

1 person likes this.
  6. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

After a prolonged battle with the Bryopsis algae including any and all possible ways to kill the stuff I could find anywhere on the internet or in local fish places I finally decided that that was not how I was going to keep a tank I was going to get out of the hobby all together or I was going to totally start over . I Bit the bullet and completely nuked my tank I removed and bleached all my rock and sand ,sacrificed all the corals and only saved my fish . I am back on track now I have coraline coming back in a big way I have restocked corals (from a very generous friend with a pristine reef tank that could spare them). I have to say I will be really careful from now on about what I put in the tank I am super critical of any coral I look at if I see any signs of algae anywhere in the store I walk away thats all I know for a fact that the bryopsis came from a piece of coral that I did not look close enough at at the store. I am thankful in a way though because dealing with the Bryopsis has taught me more about maintaining a reef tank than I ever knew before and how different aspects of the water parameters effect coral and algae growth .I have upgraded my equipment and pay much more attention to every aspect of the maintanance of my tank now.

1 person likes this.
  7. surfrgirl61187

Yea I was just talking to my husband about this and we agreed that we are so tired of looking into a green tank... We are going to upgrade our equipment and now that we have a better understanding of this hobby and what we want in our tank we are viewing this as a good opportunity to make this to exactly what we want.. When we first started we new we wanted coral but we didnt think about that when we bought our LR... So now we are going to make a cool aqua scape as well as set up a quarantine tank.. We have learned a lot from this mess.. I think we are just going to start over.. We talked to our fish store that we buy our stuff from and they said they would hold what ever we needed them to for as long as we need them for..

8. Click Here!

9. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I will say I went through the same problem and was ready to give up, some one suggested a sea hare but I was always told they wouldn't eat it so as a final ditch effort I bought a good sized one and my rocks where covered in it just like yours are within a week the sea hare munched it down every time it started to come back he would eat it. Now it is all gone.
    The only problem is if the algae is gone you have to put food in for him or take him back to the pet store.He also eats hair algae. He's a algae eating machine. The only thing I noticed he won't eat is cryno or bubble algae.
    just thought I would share this info.

here's an older pic of him trying to get to the overflow to eat the algae of it.

Attached Files:

10. horsemare

horsemare Plankton

algae

Sorry to sound stupid, but I am very new to the SW world. What is "GHA and bryopsis? What am I looking for? So I know what to do or what to look for in my tank?
    Sorry you all.

11. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

GHA is Green Hair Algea and Bryopsis looks like GHA but most things dont eat it and is very hard to get out of your tank.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I won't buy coral from any of my LFS, they all have crap growing in the same tank and it makes me nervous. If the tank ain't clean, I don't want anything out of it.