Ooohh noo....

Discussion in 'Algae' started by surfrgirl61187, Jan 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

Thank you guys for reading about our problems with this stuff... We have slept on it and we have decided to start over.. Its sad to say it but we have tried everything that has been suggested... This has been going on for way to long and I wish I could post saying that we will figure this out but it has taken over our entire tank and every time we scrub the rock clean it just comes back in full force.. This has been going on for so long I forgot what our tank looked like before it was their.. I think it started in June... I would have to look at my other thread that I had going about it to see about when it started... Well wish us luck on starting up a new one.. I will keep everyone up dated on our progress..

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

surfrgirl61187- I just found out that a "foxface lo" will devour hair algae and bryopsis like there's no tomorrow. I've called all the lfs's in my area and no one has one but I'm on the lookout. It's a foxface without a spot. I just thought I'd tell you just in case you haven't torn your tank down yet...
    [​IMG]

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

If it is the toxic type of bryopsis, the foxface will most likely not touch it unless it's starved. Even then, certain types of bryopsis, if eaten, will poison and kill the fish. The last thing they need when taking down their tank is an extra fish to worry about housing somewhere.

5. bc219

bc219 Millepora

True. I didn't know there were toxic types of bryopsis. I tried.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm not sure if I'm too late but there has been a lot of success with increasing the mag level in the tank to kill of Bryopsis.

J

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

+1 Unless you're positive that you have bryopsis pennata, I would try this method before starting over :)

8. Click Here!

9. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

i would definetly try to frag the corals. but use new LR as frag rock to avoid contamination. good luck and best wishes

10. ssamick

ssamick Plankton

If you have exhausted all of your other options and still can't win, and you know it is bryopsis then buy a big ol bottle of tech M. I fought it for over a year with no luck. So I started dosing mag till it reached about 1600 to 1800 and kept it there for about 3 months. It will slowly start to die so you want to do frequent water changes. But just make sure you keep your mag level in check. Also keep a eye on your alk and cal measurements as they are easily swayed with such a high mag level. I did not notice any ill affects from this method, other then bryopsis die off. I still have every coral that went through the storm.

11. ssamick

ssamick Plankton

I forgot to tell you that it seems like tech m is the only one that works. There is obviously something in it that stops it dead.

12. ssamick

ssamick Plankton

You know one more thing I have been thinking about. Unless you really want to just start over, one of key factors in reefkeeping is time. It is amazing how a one year old tank that has been properly taken care of start to flourish at about that time. I hate to see you lose your time. Just a thought and also an opinion.:)

1 person likes this.