One year, 10 months, 10 gallon reef

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by ragc, May 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Once again a progress report on my ten gallon reef: All goes well. Li'l B*st*rd continues to enjoy his fiefdom. Not a lot of fussing, just keeping the caulerpa down and the water changed every month and a half or so. The modified skilter keeps working excellently. I don't check my parameters anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll check in again at the 2 year mark. Good fishkeeping!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nice...very nice! keep up the good work!

4. sharkatak

sharkatak Flamingo Tongue

Great job.Minimum maintenance is fantastic.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Looking good!

Look forward to seeing you back.

Amazed to see a skilter last so long. :eek:

6. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

I modified the Skilter to use an airpump and wood airstone, not the kit's impeller. No moving parts to the skimmer section, no noise or bubbles, longer-lasting.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Cool! do you have plans for the skilter im interested!

8. Click Here!

9. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

If you look in the old posts here you will find all the info. I posted it when I did it, about a year ago. I found the instructions on a website, Googling. It's easy:

Close the Skilter needle valve air intake and introduce an airline with a limewood airstone through the bottom of the skimmer tube. Make sure your airpump is strong (mine is rated for 40 gal and has dual airline hookups). I manifolded both airline outlets from the pump with bleeder valves to allow me to micro-adjust the air volume and pressure. I also drilled a hole in the front of the skimmate tank and installed some tubing. This was done so that, if the skimmate were to overflow from the skimmer over-acting it would not drain the tank. When the skimmate reaches the level of the overflow tube (about 1/2" from the bottom) it overflows back into the tank. Of course, this is only for emergencies. I watch the skimmate tank to ensure the skimmer is running well and skimmate does not collect high enough to overflow.

[​IMG]
    This is the overflow back when I routed it back into the Skilter. I discontinued this and let it drain into the tank. It never happens anyway.

[​IMG]

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hi ragc - fantastic nano!
    (I am trying to catch up on posts, sorry for delay. ;) )

Can you go into your maintenance routine with regards to weekly stuff you do and what additives you use? Really curious, your tank looks great!

matt

11. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

Seeing your tank gives me hope and motivation. I'm an 20 days and waiting for the cycling to finish. It' getting frustrating, but I'm gonna stick it out.
    It's nice to see you defy what seems to be the popular theory that it's difficult at best to have a SMALL successful reef tank. Karma to you, if I can figure out how! ;D

Linda

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Look'n good. Ya would love a maintenance routine and hardware list

J