One and Only ?'s

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by Steno1911, Feb 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

wet9500 - glad the info helps you at least understand why things were stalled. What's the situation nowadays?

2. Click Here!

3. wet9500

wet9500 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I still haven't started stocking yet but been running a few small doses of ammonia every few days just to keep bacteria fed and it's running right through now. All tests show 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites next day. Going to do large waterchange Saturday to reduce nitrates and if everything looks good Sunday will be adding first critter.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Not to stir it back up. But I found the fish-less cycle instruction for your product very easy to understand. Just my two cents.

1 person likes this.
  5. Steno1911

Steno1911 Plankton

Dr. Tim,

I will add some ammonia like you mentioned just to double check.

I will not be adding alot of fish at one time. I would like to start off with just 2 clowns. That will probably be all for a good month or so. Want to make sure I can keep clowns alive before I try anything else.

6. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

I hope it's alright if I jump this thread... I am very intigued with the one and only and I would really like to try it. I just have a couple of questions;
    First, I have a 36gal bow tank that I will be adding BRS reefsaver base rock and dead sand to. I also will have a 20 gal sump (probably only about 10 gal of actual water) that will have a section for a refugium. If I purchase the 30-60 gal one and only, do I add the whole bottle? Should I start the refugium at the same time as the tank cycle or wait until it cycles?
    Secondly, Should I run the tank with the lights off and the skimmer off as well?
    I plan on doing the one and only in conjunction with a couple of clownfish.

Thank you in advance for the response.

7. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

SeminoleB

Yes, shake well and add the whole bottle

I would start it at the same time

Skimmer off for 48 hours
    Lights on normal schedule

Good plan - think you'll be fine

8. Click Here!

9. eric1980

eric1980 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Dr. Tim,

I bought a bottle of your product (one and only) from a third party site and I think that it may have frozen during transit (essentially killing the bacteria). This is not a complaint, it just is what it is and I should have exercised more research and ordered directly from your site along with the ammonia you provide. The product was recommended by a friend.

I dosed my 10 gallon tank with your reef, nano & seahorse bottle using the whole bottle after shaking well, after my tank had been running for a few days with the protein filter and lighting off. I then dosed my tank with 2ppm of pure ammonia. I have not added any more ammonia, it is a week later, and the ammonia level is getting close to zero using my API liquid testing kit. My nitrite appears to be maxed out at 5ppm using the same brand of testing kit. I know that it is probably more than this value. What size water change would you recommend at this point if any at all, and would adding a fresh bottle of your product (ordered directly from your site so that it would not freeze this time) speed up the cycling process significantly?

Lastly, if I go down the route of doing a water change, will not preheating any water I add significantly kill of bacteria that are currently working? I understand that when adding new water with fish in the tank, the water quality should be as close to what is currently in there in terms of salinity and temperature.

Thanks for any thoughts you may be able to provide. It has been great reading all of these posts as I am learning more and more.

10. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hello

You need to get the nitrite down below 5 ppm so at least a 33% water change maybe even 50%.

As long as the temperature is close (with say 10 degrees). Is your make-up water that cold? Salinity should also be close but you don't have to worry about being dead on exact. This is a partial water change so things even out as long as you are in the ballpark.

Thanks, you're welcome.