One and Only.. Nitrites Issue

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by sk8elenex92, Aug 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92 Plankton

Hello All,

I have started my cycle with Dr. Tim's one and only as well as the Ammonia. The first day I added the bacteria as well at dosed 70 drops of the ammonia. I have a 60 gallon cube with 15 gallon sump. Ammonia when up to 2 and stayed like that till DAY 4. Day 4 for Ammonia read .50 and nitrites went up to 1.0. I dosed Ammonia again with 45 drops. Two days later Ammonia went down again to .5.

I am using the API test kit.
    PH is 8.0
    nitrates were around 40.

my nitrite have been stuck at 5> for the last week or so. My ammonia is dropping to 0 in 24 hours but my nitrite is turning purple instantly.

DR. Tim should I do a water change, or wait it out till Saturday and see what happens?

Also should I stop Dosing Ammonia right now?

If nitrite read > 5 on Sat should I do a water change and stop dosing ammonia or keep dosing it till 2?

Please helppppp..

Thank you,

2. Click Here!

3. paul.brandon83

paul.brandon83 Plankton

I used the same stuff and it took about a week before the nitrates started to register.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Do a W/C, nothing wil happen till you get your Nitrite back down.

W/C the nitrite down, then dose the ammonia back up to get both to around 2-3

5. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

API kits suck, Did you use the whole bottle of bacteria?

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

7. sk8elenex92

sk8elenex92 Plankton

Yes I used the whole bottle.. Ill mix up some saltwater and do a water change on Saturday when Im off.

Any other suggestions guys...

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

There is nothing else to do. Lower the nitrite. At 5+ you are fully toxic and your cycle is stalled till you bring it down.

W/C is your only option.

10. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hi All

Been traveling all day to MACNA - if you are here or going be sure to stop by and say hi.

Anyways, you need to do a water change to bring the nitrite down.

Quickly, the process to fishless cycle with ammonia is to add the ammonia once, let the ammonia and and nitrite disappear. DO NOT ADD ammonia everyday - only when the test kits tell you the ammonia and nitrite is low. Once the ammonia and nitrite does down the first time, add ammonia again and repeat - the ammonia and nitrite should disappear even faster. Then add ammonia a third time - this time the ammonia and nitrite should disappear within 24 hours.

The most common problem is adding too much ammonia too fast.

Going to be a MACNA next 4 days to probably won't be posting much - thanks for your patience.

11. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Yes do wc I just did the fish less cycle on my qt tank. My nitrite went to 10+ with seachem test I added prime to absorb the nitrite and then did a wc

I dosed ammonia again to be sure ammonia disappeared in 24 hr nitrite showed then disappeared

12. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

You are wasting you money adding prime to 'adsorb' the nitrite and prime negatively affect the nitrifiers at high doses. Leave the prime in the bottle and just do a water change.