One and Only for QT?

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by jmann124, Jun 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Yes - having sponges in your filter means that the sponges are trapping organics material which promote the growth of heterotrophic bacteria that compete for space, oxygen and other resources with the nitrifiers. It is not the ideal location.

2. Click Here!

3. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

So I took a sponge out of the filter and put it in the water column. Should I do both sponges like that?

4. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

are you running water though it or by it? yes you can put both sponges in the water column for now.

5. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

In the filter was running through it. Now they're just sitting in the water column.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You need a sponge filter that you run an airline to the center of it. A small air pump is all you need. This will pull water through it and actually filter. See here: Foam Aquarium Biological Filters: Azoo Oxygen Plus Bio-Filters

7. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Maybe let's regroup and see where things are. What are you latest water quality values (units please or test kit used)

8. Click Here!

9. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Sorry it took so long, I had to battle a leak in the DT.

Last night I did a 2 gallon WC.

I just checked and it's all through the roof. Which would explain why my clowns look like they're getting a little "Ich"y. Using API saltwater master test kit.

Temp-78
    SG-slightly above 1.024
    Salinity-33 ppt
    Ph-7.8
    Ammo-.5 ppm
    Trite-looks to be between 2 & 5 ppm
    Trate-looks to be between 0 & 5 ppm

10. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

put the sponges back in the filter and let eater run through them. pH is a little low - need to add buffer or change more water and get it above 8.0

11. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Ok, I put the sponges back in the filter last night. I will add a buffer this evening. What should I be doing/looking for next?

I should also add that I'm dosing Melafix(based on fellow aquarist's rec's) right now b/c the clowns had a few spots pop up on their rear fins. Not small enough to be Ich based on pics I've seen.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  12. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

In theory Melafix may inhibit the nitrifying bacteria but I doubt the concentration is high enough.

For now, ust keep measuring ammonia and nitrite to determine when the system has cycled.