One and Only for QT?

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by jmann124, Jun 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

change some water to get the pH back up and add the clowns (of, course do not add anu more ammonia)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Before I saw your reply I checked everything again.

Day 4
    10am
    Temp - 77
    SG - Just under 1.023
    Ph - 8.0
    Ammo - 0.25ppm
    Trite - 0
    Trate - 0

I then, at noon, changed 3 gallons of water and at 7pm, added 2 O Clowns and a 5mL dose of your First Defense.

Day 5
    530pm
    Temp - 77
    SG - 1.024
    Ph - 8.2
    Ammo - 0.25ppm
    Trite - 0
    Trate - 0

Followin the directions on the bottle, I added a buffer(Seachem Marine Buffer) to help get Ph to 8.3.

Day 6
    2pm
    Temp - 77
    SG - Just under 1.023
    Ph - 8.0-8.2
    Ammo - 0.25ppm
    Trite - 0
    Trate - 0

Per buffer directions I added the buffer again and I added a little salt to get the SG up.

Day7(today)
    5pm
    Temp - 77
    SG - Just over 1.022
    Ph - 8.0-8.2
    Ammo - 0.50ppm
    Trite - 0
    Trate - 0

I have fed the fish(Omega One Small Marine Pellets w/garlic) 2 or 3 times a day and I remove the uneaten food a few hours later with a turkey baster. The larger clown doesn't eat much but they are both very active and look healthy.

I am concerned, because my ammonia went up from yesterday to today and I have never registered any nitrite or nitrate. Is there any recommendations that you can give me? I'm going to get another type of food(Instant Ocean Gel Marine Blend Omnivore Diet) in hopes that it will entice the larger clown to eat a little more and to offer something different than the pellets.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Personally i'd do a wc again, you may have to do a small one every few days due to the small size of the tank and lack of a well established bacteria colony. Also, make sure you add your PH buff to any top off if your top off PH is showing low...

1 person likes this.
  5. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

ammonia kills FAST so keep a real close eye on it...

6. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Figured I'd add a video link of the clowns.

[​IMG]

Yes, that is a glass coffee mug. I threw it in to hold up the acrylic airstone shield and because I didn't have ay PVC on hand for a hiding place.

7. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

I looked at your video - your tank is bare bottomed. Have you been siphoning the bottom? Also where/what is the substrate the bacteria are suppose to stick to? They do not want to be in the water column - they need surfaces to colonize?

Right now do a small water change but make sure you are taking the water from the water column - do not siphon the tank bottom.

8. Click Here!

9. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

The only siphoning I do is to get the food off the bottom of the tank. I have 2 small square sponges in the HOB filter. I can take them out and put them in the water column if I need to.

I have 3 gallons of new water mixing right now. I will let it mix all day and do a water change tonight. Is that a good enough water change or should it be smaller or larger?

10. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

Dr. Tim, wouldn't the bacteria stick to the sides/bottom of the aquarium?

11. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Yes but still you need more surface area for all good bacteria to grow and take care of the bio-load needed to eliminate all the ammonia.

12. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Maybe that's my issue with the ammonia staying detectable. I have 2 small sponges in the HOB filter. Should i take one out and place it in the water column?