One and only can't be over dosed ...so question

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by milomlo, Jul 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

How do I go about adding it to my tank periodically if I already have fish and corals? Do I just add it and turn off the skimmer or do you have a different product that you recommend to just add to make sure there is enough bacteria?
    I hope that makes sense ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

are your nitrates high?ammonia? nitrites? if not you have enough bacteria.

4. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

can you give us some info about your tank.
    how long your tank been up?
    what size?
    lighting?
    etc,,

5. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

tank has been set up for 4 weeks total, but 1 week ago I added the One and only and then 2 chromis and a cuc. 0 ammonia, 0 trites, 0 trates.
    I just want to make sure I have enough bacteria that's all

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

You have enough. The directions tell you when you can use it...

Adding new fish and adding some helps add more bacteria to take care of the increased bio load

7. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

One and Only is 100% nitrifying bacteria. Once you had established your tank you don't need to add more unless you kill or lose these bacteria. You'll know if you do this because you can measure ammonia and nitrite - if either/both show-up you need to add more One and Only.

That said, the bacteria you want to start to added after about 4 weeks is Waste-Away. These are organic degrading bacteria that are removed by the protein skimmer so should be replaced on a regular basis.

8. Click Here!

9. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Waste away is awesome! I have been dosing it for about 6 months now. Compared to before, I could turkey baste my rocks and see huge clouds of junk come up.. now it's MAYBE 20% of what used to be there. Unreal.

11. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

AWESOME!!! Another quick question. Can I use my skimmer while using First Defense? I mean how long should I wait to use it after I add it to the tank?

12. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Thatgrimguy - thanks !

You can use your skimmer with First Defense but it is best to turn the skimmer off for 4 to 6 hours after dosing FD so the vitamins and things in FD are not immediately removed from the water by the skimmer. (Note - do not add FD and WasteAway at the same time or on the same day.)