On the run.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by cody3819, Dec 23, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Be careful with the powerheads and anything else your nem might get into. My nem was moving around a little and then one day I get a call at the store asking if I over fed the tank. I was told that my tank was all cloudy and it looked like a bunch of little pieces of food floating around. Long story short, it got into one of my ecotechs and when I got home no more nem and it put me in a downward spiral for 6 months. It devastated my tank, I think I'm finally on the upswing. Cover everything your nem might be able to get into that will harm it.

DSC reef and cody3819 like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Thanks so much for the info, I have been doing tons of reading on nems. And you are 100% correct I will "nemproof" my tank

DSC reef likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good luck cody! I hope your nem settles in soon and finds its happy spot - preferably not the back of the tank lol which always seems to happen. DSC has given you excellent advice - definitely let it settle in and don't feed it anymore until it settles and attaches

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hi Cody,

I have a failry stable reef tank going on,
    I durrently have 3 nems, well 4 if you count the 2 heads of Watermelon BTA as 2.

I started with and still have a nice Maxi-mini carpet nem.
    I have a WBTA- 2 heads side by side, looks more like one big one
    I have a Rose BTA-

Altough I used to place pellets on all of them once a week or so.

Now, I haven't spot fed any of them in over a year- and they're fine.
    Without looking it up, I do in fact think they also have some algae in them and photosynthesize as well- like most all corals.
    They do eat small/microscopic particles from the water column also.

Good luck,
    Todd

cody3819 likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK, I quick search found this paraphrased info:

'Bubble tip anemones are a photosynthetic organism and can generate food from the lights on your tank. This alone however is not enough to keep your anemone as healthy as possible. Yes, it is possible that they will grab the occasional scrap of food when you feed your fish but for a happy RBTA spot feeding it twice a week would be best. '
    This was taken from an article on BTA's.
    IMHO- you don't need to spot feed twice a week.

I myself really don't spot feed anymore, and theyre healthy, bubbly, happy.
    Broadcast feeding can also lead to an overabundance of DOC's the your system will have to export, leading to higher levels of non desired things like nitrates and phosphates, and more nuisance algae, etc.

Good luck, Reef on

cody3819 likes this.
  7. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Thanks Todd for all you info.