? on popping circut breaker.

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by fishoholic, Dec 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

I put the Christmas tree up a few days ago, now the breaker has popped 2 times. It only happens when the MH,tree lights and the plasma TV are all on at the same time, most of the time when there all on it's fine. Does anyone know What would cause this and how can I fix it? TIA

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

run a separate line for the tank from the box or part out the tank to different circuits

1 person likes this.
  4. fishoholic

Thanks, what sucks is there is no other circuts in the area without drilling through the floor and running line from the basement. To run a separate line to the box would be lots of work cause it's all the way on the other side of the house.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if you have spots open in your box its a nobrainer, if not, it sucks to be you, lol.

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

You need to find a diffrent circut or some other plug that is on a diffrent circut. I would not recomend going into the box and changing circuts your self. Most homes run 12/2 or 14/2 wire that is only recomended for 20 or 15 amp. service. Basicly you are drawing too many amps. If you don't change wiring configuration you might burn something down. Run a heavy duty extention cord to diffrent part of house and try to get on diffrent circut. please be carefull.

1 person likes this.
  7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Not having spots is no problem square d or other breaker box makers make extention breakers basicly 2 breakers in one.

8. Click Here!

9. fishoholic

I think I have 12/2 wire in the house, and I have plenty of empty spots in the box. I think for now when the MH and the Tv are on I'll shut off the tree

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

without opening a can of worms that would be a good idea, running new line is easy, pay for my plane ticket and we can have it done in no time.

that would be 220 not 110

1 person likes this.
  11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

no it is a 110 line. they are just split on the same pole.

12/2 only run 20 amp max but i usualy run a 15 to be on the safe side.

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

LOL, I was kind of thinking that myself! But you still might want to consider adding a circuit especially if your that close to being overloaded that a few Christmas light pop the breaker.

Adding a circuit isn't that hard to do, the hardest part is running the conduit if you have to. Other than that there are tons of websites that show you how to do it safely. I know I am going to hear about this especially from the guy's who make a living as electricians but it not rocket science......