Omg woot!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by cdeboard, Apr 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Me and the girlfriend are planning a trip to Maryland in a few weeks.
    She is originally from there and most of her family still lives there.
    While we are there we are going to make a trip to the beach.
    What, if any, creatures could I expect to find in the pools/shallows of the beaches around Maryland. Not sure if there are certain species in that area.
    Would love to bring something home for the reef.
    :cheesy:

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Absolutely none, since it will be cold water ;)

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

there may be one animal. sand crabs, emerita analoga. i think it can adapt to reef temperatures since saltwaterfish.com sells them.

but you may risk bringing in parasites so i would qt what ever you get

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

don't risk it. You may see cold water anemones, stars, urchins, and stuff like that but none of them will live in your tank for very long.

6. cdeboard

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

And even more importantly, without extensive knowledge of local species, you run the risk of attempting to collect a restricted species, get caught with it, and do time and/or pay heavy fines. It's very important to keep in mind that not everything in our great oceans is just free for the taking ;)

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Elebriend

Elebriend Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wait wait wait, your telling me that my sense of entitlement is wrong?;D That actually is a rather good point, just because it's there doesn't mean it's up for grabs. K+

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The beach is cool, but don't get your hopes up about seeing to many things. I have been to the Jersey, Delaware and MD shores many times. You can find the sand crabs easy enough, but their not that interesting. You will find an occasional buried blue crab. There aren't many tide pools, at least on the ocean front, you may have better luck in the inlets and bays. I have seen king fish in the shallows as well as sand sharks and the occasional ray. There are mussles and such growing on the rocks, but that's about it. It is nothing like the tropical beaches. In went to Bermuda and you see parrot fish, damsels, barracuda, corals, crabs and countless other cool fish right in the shallows. It's really awesome, especially compared to the Mid-Atlantic beaches.

11. cdeboard

Cool.. I knew it was cold but was hoping some sort of star or something could live.. LOL
    Just a remembrance from our trip mainly. Oh well.. will just have to check them out while I am there :) Will take some pics for you guys if I find anything neat

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

haha, living a block away from the beach, I sometimes forget how cool it is.

Take only pictures and leave only footprints!