Omg!!!!! Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Quartz92, Apr 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

I feed my cichlids today, and after about and hour they are all really fat! The tank is also a bit cloudy. I didn't feed them a lot and in all of my years of experiance haven't seen this im new to cichlids though. PLEASE HELP!

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

info from:http://cichlid.infocrux.com/Cichlid-Disease.html
    Constipation is indicated through swelling of the abdomen, lack of interest in food, and off-balance swimming. Feces may hang from the fish. The bets way to treat this is to abstain from feeding for 2 days and then giving it a varied diet consisting of both live and plant foods.

If the abdomen is swollen, and if there are red scales surrounding this area, it is probable that your cichlid is suffering from Dropsy. This could be due to bacteria, parasites, or cancer. Salt treatment is recommended to cure this disease.

Sluggishness, color loss, fraying of fins, bloating, inflammation of the skin, the fins, and the internal organs, bulging and cloudiness of the eyes, sores and abscesses, and breathing difficulties, are all symptoms of bacterial infections. Exophthalmia, or Pop-eye (bulging eyes), and ulcers are among some of the bacterial infections.

which one sounds like your fish?

also what are your ammonia nitrites nitrates

4. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

The water parameters are perfect I checked this morning all I can remember is ammonia at 0! I can go check the rest soon. I think its constipation because they are all swimming normally and all look extreamly healthy. I just feed them this after noon and they all just sort of blew up!
    I just noticed now that there seems to be a lot of feces scatared around on the gravel.
    I have Nutrafin max, cichlid spirulina sticks, spirulina meal tablets, and complete flake food. They all get a small portion of each once a day.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  5. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

What kind of Cichlids ?
    What are you feeding them ?

If you feed the large cichlid pellets for example, and did not presoak, they can get a bloat as it expands in the belly.

Since you say it was more than one at the same time, I suspect it is not constipation. However, you could feed some peas the next feeding.

I suspect it is food bloat.

Cheers

6. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

My nitrites are between 0.1 and 0.3. I have yellow labs, black aceis, and scolofi. What should I do if it is food bloat? I have had them all for about a week and have been feeding them the same foods, except today I baught the cichlid spirulina sticks, and tried them on it. I haven't had this happen before. Anything I should do?

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Not much, but wait it out, it will begin to digest shortly. But we want to avoid it going forward. Maybe a few thawed peas at next feeding just to wash it though.

I suspected this was food bloat. Sometimes too much too fast as Cichlids eat, it gets in the belly them absorbs the water and expands.

Small sticks or the Jumbo ?

In either case, make sure to soak for maybe a minute prior to feeding. A touch of garlic extreame wouldnt hurt either. Also, make sure your not over feeding. Juat a few of the small sticks each is fine.

Good Luck

8. Click Here!

9. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

The sticks are about 1.5 cm. So really I could give them thawed peas? Is that okay?

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

11. Quartz92

Quartz92 Plankton

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Keep us posted.
    What kind of cichlids are these? How many do you have?
    Can you tell us about your aquarium setup? How big is it? WHat kind of filter?