Old guy new member

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Harry Ehlers, Sep 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Harry Ehlers

Harry Ehlers Plankton

Hi,
    My name is Harry. I have a 220 FOWLR and am setting up a120 reef (hopefully)using old school plenum method.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi Harry,

Oooooo Plenum you're taking me back to my college days, Jaubert, wow long time ago.

Welcome to 3reef. :)

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Can you explain Plenum to me as I probably wasn't even born when this design was around. Haha. Hope I'm not offending.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Basically it's a very DSB with a layer of open water under it (this layer is referred to as the plenum, typically 2-3 cm in height).

The main theory is that this plenum provides a barrier of low, but still present dissolved oxygen, sandwiching the DSB which has no dissolved oxygen, against the actual display part of the tank which is very rich in dissolved oxygen. This sandwiching prevents the build up of hydrogen sulfide which is a common problem with DSB. It has something to do with denitrification by the anaerobic and aerobic bacteria. Due to the immense layer of sand, these systems can often be run with no live rock at all. Some will even say that a protein skimmer is not necessary.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome to 3reef! sounds like you have a plan - would love to see pictures of your FO.