Old frozen food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by SaltyClown, Apr 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

So, I think I may have killed my royal gramma. He was doing great until I fed him some old frozen squid. Also, I may have given him too big of bites. The other fish too, have slowed down with their appetites. My gramma died last night, but looked healthy. Very colorful. So, when it comes to feeding meat. Can I feed my fish raw table shrimp? I'll also get new squid. I just bought some new krill, but my fish don't like it. I do have more old frozen myssis shrimp. Should I through it out?

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

If the food in question is over 6 mos old, or has freezer burn, toss it. We don't keep anything frozen over 3 months, but Renee is very geeky when it comes to fish nutrition. Our home freezers can't keep the food at a low enuff temp to prevent fat rancification, not by a longshot. So, what freezing does is slow the process, but it still happens.

Small bits of raw table shrimp is an excellent food, and is one we use in our "food rotation".

Most folks actually feed their fish items that are too large, esp. when it comes to predators. For preds, we don't feed anything much beyond "eye size" of the fish in question. Multiple smaller pieces of food are digested much more easily by fish, esp. those with slower metabolisms, such as anglers (very important), lions, scorps, etc.

Krill is OK as long as you feed it in moderation with a good varied diet. We don't use krill at all, as there are much better foods out there. Definitely stay away from freeze-dried krill.

4. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Thank you! Uhmmm....yeah uh...(cringes) my food for them is from my old nano tank. So the food is at least 3 1/2 years old... Boy, I must look bad right now, but I thought the food would be fine, ugh...

5. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Ya never know unless you ask, which you did...kudos to you.

6. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

When I buy larger packs such as RODs food and such I divide it into smaller packs and vacuum seal them to freeze separately opening one as needed to help prevent freezer burn. A large pack last me 6-8months and I open a smaller PAC every month or two.