Old 125 project, brace questions

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by country1911, Jul 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

I picked up an old O'dell 125 tank on Craigslist for a couple pennies and resealed it. It does not have a brace in the center of the tank. Is that necessary? I have read that if it wasn't designed for one it is not needed, however I would like some more input. I plan on leak testing it tomorrow and measuring deflection while filling. It has 1/2" glass, so what would be acceptable for deflection?

The only replacement trim I have found with a brace would be getting 2 for a different tank, cutting one end off of each and putting them together.

Thanks in advance.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

If it was built without one I would say it does not require one...good thought on the filling...just but a tape measure on it...I would bet money it does not move at all...1/2 inch is some big glass. Good score ! take some pictures ! : )

4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

If it's a standard 125 height then yeah I doubt you need it with glass that thick but I'm by no means an expert...

1 person likes this.
  5. country1911

Filled the tank today to test for leaks. I forgot to put the trim back on the top of the tank, but was careful to measure deflection. Total movement from the long sides was 7/16". That was measured in the middle of the tank. Is that acceptable?

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i would make a glass brace but thats just me being paranoid. My 125 is 3/8th inch glass

7. country1911

I have some extra glass tops I won't be using, maybe I can re-purpose one of those. Would 1/4" glass 4" wide suffice? I may leave the trim off as I plan on putting a canopy on it anyway.

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

did it move when you filled it?

10. country1911

It flexed 7/16" total measured at the middle of the sides. I am not sure if that is good or bad? I do know there are no leaks so that is good.

11. lillys Grandad

..hmmm... well I guess it couldn't hurt...piece of mind at the very least.
    Straps are easy to make.
    Lets see 'em !! ; )