Okay, For Real...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by HSL0389, Oct 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm sure more details will be asked :p but this starts to help. If by topsy turvy you mean in a vertical sort of way - my clowns do that at night for hours. Until about a week ago, then they both found a rock hole they now 'sleep' in. It's pretty neat.

But that's a side note. Your Nitrate reading is pretty high. I bet if you test for it, your phosphate reading will be high too. Most likely due to overfeeding. Crabs will find enough to eat, don't worry about them. They're point is to clean waste of sorts, not to be fed, ya dig?

Your salinity is very important to know too. If it's too high or too low it can easily kill fishies. Or if it's inconsistent.

Is that Ammonia reading a spike and has been 0 for several weeks or has it kind of hovered up there? If it's hovering, you're probably adding things before the cycle is done and keep kicking off mini-cycles. I say this because you've lost several fish in a row now, while still not too old of a tank.

Your schedule of filter/water changes sounds good with one caveat. You shouldn't even start to count those weeks until after your cycle. If you have been, it may be another reason your cycle won't finish.

I'm sure others will respond too. Go ahead and post some pics!

2. Click Here!

3. HSL0389

HSL0389 Astrea Snail

No, she's been vertical in the corner since we've had her. What I meant is She's upside down and stuck to the filter, and has no control over her swimming. That's what i meant by topsy turvy. I'm doubting she'll make it to morning, but my boyfriend wants me to wait and let him deal with it tomorrow. It's very sad...

(Salinity's fine BTW, and stable)

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

How did you acclimate the fishy?

By SG being fine, do you mean 1.025 or within a few ticks? And it's been fairly consistent over the past 5 months?

5. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

answer all of these questions and your golden!

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Just curious, what kind of filtration system do you have?

7. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

im sorry about your losses. something deffiently not wright and, your in a good spot. there are people here that will love to help you including me. find some time and write us a story of every thing you have done and doing with your tank and fish. also reading reading reading always helps i read darn near 14 months almost every day before i thought about switching to salt and, im still reading. marine bio 101

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Between your ammonia and nitrates, your water params are far enough off to kill. We do need answers to all of the questions in order to help though. EXACT answers for SG, DKH CA, MG, and PO4 how much rock you have, mechanical filtration, and what do you have for flow? What exactly is it that you are adding to the water? What exactly are you feeding and how much? What size is the tank? Something has to be very off for a clown to die that quickly, I have seen them go through even an anemone death without too much problem.
    Also, any chance that the tank was bought used? Are you running a grounding probe?
    Please answer as many of these questions as possible so we can help you better

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Also what kind of water are you using for your water changes?

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i'm sure theres more to it than salinity but you should check your gravity meter against other peoples.not all are exactly equal.make sure you check it against someones that have a healthy tank.

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK. So here are what we want to know all in one thread.....Consolidated for ease. Fill in what you know. If you don't know, that's OK

Temp:
    pH:
    NH4:
    NO2:
    NO3:
    dKH:
    Ca:
    Mg:
    PO4:
    Size of tank:
    Size of sump:
    Powerheads:
    Skimmer:
    Age of tank:
    Pounds LR:
    Depth of sandbed:
    Inhabitants:
    Lighting:
    Filtration:
    Water change schedule and amt:
    Additives:
    Feeding schedule:

We'll start with that and work from there. Cut and paste, then fill in the blanks for us. We should be able nail something down for you.

April Hope and sessionthree like this.