Ok what the hell???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Robman, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

Where else? the light :]

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

So I cant run my lights??? whats the point??

4. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I see what the problem is. You need snails LOTS of them :)

And also no more frozen food. Try the dried pellets some good brands like Hikari. They're expensive but the fish love them and they don't dissolve for days.

Now as far as the snails. Try adding 150 Golden Astrea snails and 100 Large cerith snails.
    The astrea snails will lick your tank clean. And the cerith snails will keep your sand shiny and new.

Don't be fooled by the tiny black cerith snails. They don't do squat. Get the large florida ones, they either have a blue shell or a reddish/bluegrey, just depends.

Try reeftopia.com. Their packing and shipping is excellent and they offer lot prices on the snails.

If you turn off the lights all the algae will die :) :uzi: die algae die haha

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

why is frozen food bad??????

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

BTW the frozen food is Hakari Brand

7. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

do you defrost the frozen cubes inside the display tank...also even though your nitrates are low that could just mean that the algae is consuming them...how old is your refugium?

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

No I put the 1/2 cube in a large syringe, then suck up some water from the fuge, shake until dissolved then fire it into the DT. The fuge is only a month old

10. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

doesnt matter what brand. You could use the frozen foods once a week but everyday is a lil much. You just need a robust cleaning crew i think.

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I have always heard that flakes and pellets are the culprit for phosphates and algae

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The frozen food itself isnt bad. It's the water that comes with it. Defrost it, drain that water out, then add tank water ;) If you do that it will have much less nitrate and phosphates in it than flake/pelllet.
    I also agree on the clean up crew as well. Go to reefcleaners.org and fill out their custom clean up crew questionnaire. They will e-mail you back a clean up crew personalized for your tank.