OK! Time for a Drink! Vodka?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Dador, Jan 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i'll take my funny looking avatar and i'll leave this forum in a heart beet if it goes the route of reef central.i enjoy reading and posting here in a stress free way.i find it relaxing.this is where i go when my meds are'nt working or i catch my gf cheat,or my bills are late.this is not where i go to see adults act like children.i saw who started it and i don't care.stop now.

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Yup! You're right :D Karma from me :-[

1 person likes this.
  4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Wow, This thread has gotten really hot. I for one, only wanted to learn about this "Vodka" thing b/c of my 20ppm no3's. I really dont see the need to offend others when an opinion doesnt match someone else's. Having said this, I also can appreciate a good debate as Tangster mentioned before. Can we come back to the " real " topic here, which is adding Vodka to a tank. As I stated earlier, my no3 are at 20ppm and it doesnt move form there. I think that I've tried almost everything out there. Im trying to get my no3 down b/c my goni's havent opened up in a long time. Can anyone shed some light on this for me, thank you. Luna

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

After reading this thread, I think I'm gonna start drinking some Vodka before the buckeyes game starts.....lol

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Ditto, but not for the game, just b/c its there.:laughings:lol:

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

lmao GO BUCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

I don't think I began the bashing here.

Again the article posted is poorly written. I am familiar with this article and read it when it came out. It states that sugar from "Raw Sewage" is causing a bacterial bloom. Hmmm could it be that overall raw sewage might not be all that good for coral reefs to being with? Could it be that raw sewage already contains an overabundance of bacteria? They never go into that.

Here;'s an article from cornell concerning the bioremediation of nitrate from groundwater, caused by pollution from a hog farm.:

For Students

From another article in Japan:
    Abstract Biological denitrification experiment was conducted using sugar-industry wastes, namely final molasses as a carbon source and bagasse charcoal pellets as supporting media for denitrifying bacteria. We employed an upflow fixed-bed reactor filled with the pellets and biofilm attached onto them. This was fed with potassium-nitrate and dilute-molasses solutions. Total nitrogen removals of more than 85% were achieved at influent carbon–nitrogen (C/N) ratios between 2 and 4, and hydraulic residence times of more than 0.8 h. This demonstrated that final molasses could be used as an alternative carbon source. On the other hand, final molasses also contained some organic/ammonium nitrogen and refractory organic matter including colors, both of which were difficult to remove with the reactor. Accordingly, at higher C/N ratios, these substances caused major increases in effluent total-nitrogen and organic-carbon concentrations. Therefore, an optimum C/N ratio was found to be around 2.

The bacterial bloom is ALL bacteria as I posted earlier, but we are concerned with pseudonomas,
    \
    Also might want to check this out its from a wastewater treatment site: Publication: Residential On-site Wastewater Treatment: The Role of Soil

"Treatment of nitrogen occurs to a limited extent through uptake by vegetation during the growing season and by a process called denitrification. In this process, following the conversion of ammonia to nitrate, the nitrate encounters a saturated zone in the soil that lacks oxygen. Anaerobic bacteria convert nitrate to nitrogen gas provided there is a carbon food source, such as dead plant material or other organic matter, and the gas escapes to the atmosphere. Because sandy soils often don’t have this carbon food source, denitrification rarely occurs in sandy soil.

In our tanks we can increases this carbon source by adding sugar or alcohol.

Anoxic Selector for Denitrification
    Some wastewater treatment facilities will have a tank for denitrification and subsequent nitrogen gas stripping.

In all of the denitrification processes, a carbon source MUST be present in order for the cells to reproduce. In many cases this source is acetate, methanol, or even a small portion of raw wastewater (in the case of an oxidation ditch, etc)
    There are three principle methods to accomplish this:
    a) Propriety processes such as Bardenpho where they alternate anoxic and aerobic cells to force these reactions; or the A/O process where two or more non-aerated cells in series are placed prior to the aeration cells. (In the A/O process, denitrification takes place in the second anoxic cell.)

b) Post-denitrification where the aeration basin is followed by an anoxic reactor. The anoxic reactor is usually starving for a carbon source for cellular formation, and a carbon source such as sugar, or methanol is fed.
    c) Pre-denitrification consists of an anoxic denitrification reactor followed by a fully aerated, combined CBOD/nitrification basin

http://www.wrights-trainingsite.com/Nitrif3onb.html

1 person likes this.
  10. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

And of course nobody has PM'd me as I did nothing wrong.

11. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

Dude I was just trying to talk about something that interestes me. I was participating in an open forum and I was insulted. I am new to this forum and I am apaulled. Is this the way things go around here? Do you get called dumb by the site senior members if you have a discenting opinion?

I would love to continue discussing this in a civil manner. Is this possible or is it to late for this site? So far I had a fairly positive experiance with this site.

This is the last none Vodka oreintated post I will make. I just feel like that the way that this whole thing started was inappropriate.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

HOLY DRUNKEN BACTERIA!! I started this thread as an off shoot from a thread I started asking about Prodibio. After picking the fly crap out of the pepper you've all given me some great insight. I was a Philosophy major in college and took a few chemistry courses. I must admit however that once I hit Organic chem I felt like I was swimming through bubblegum. This really is a great site and I have always enjoyed reading and participating when I thought I needed some help or on occasion could offer some help. In spite of what at times reminded me of some Vodka induced brawls I've witnessed you all gave me some great information. I'm about 4 years into my reef experience and this discussion has helped me.

My goal is to try and get some more vibrant color from my coral and hopefully improve their growth. Taking care of them is my goal. Every time I look at my system from the vinyl hoses to the skimmer to the wave makers to the halides I and my children are always amazed at how much we have to do to keep things going when all of this goes on perfectly in the ocean by itself. For me it gives me great respect for all of these beautiful creatures and the big guy up there.

My Nitrates are low and I'm vigilant about my water changes and keep a very health refugium too.

I'd hate to see the thread close. It is a great learning thread for the chemistry forum.

For what it's worth, when I think I am dumb I seek education but alas have always found that with my education I learn more about how dumb I am.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.