OK...I NEED SERIOUS HELP...Yet another tank..Upside Down Jelly

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by schackmel, Feb 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Lol it would be!

2. Click Here!

3. Fusion

Fusion 3reef Sponsor

even if you do want to build or purchase a psuedokreisel or a kreisel, a box jelly is a nasty animal and thats the carribean species, The australian species can kill you :) cubomedusae is nothing to #(#$& around with. at least a blue ring octopi you can see, small as it is, it doesnt have hair like tentacles that are many feet long. unless i guess you wear a full body suit. :)

i have a nice story for you of how potent these guys are: when i was living in Jamaica, one night, night diving a colleague, a dive master got one of the four tentacles draped over his regulator while surfacing...never even saw it. he felt it about 10 seconds later and saw the damage within about two hours. face sweld up to size of a basketball. and it looked like someone took a hunting knife and carved a 10" curve from bottom of cheek to over lip to other side of face. Nasty. after it "healed" about a month out of the water. saw him 6 months after. swelling gone, but same huge scar of that hunting knife caved out of his face... there is some nasty stuff out there!

4. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

Any free floating jelly fish will require a very specific tank. The one you got is very cool though.

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

LoL! I think the term you are looking for is Angler Fish.

6. dublinur

dublinur Astrea Snail

how big is your scorpion.....if you keep it on blue rocks under just actinics it will turn white and shades of grays and black...
    i have one and love it!!!

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

When I went to Australia to visit friends, the only people that went swimming at the beach were the tourists. The locals knew better. Between the box jellies, the saltwater crocs and the sharks, getting your feet wet could very well be a death sentence!

8. Click Here!

9. Fusion

Fusion 3reef Sponsor

yeah right ... those aussies. well if it dont kill u it'll only make you stronger? or maybe smarter!

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

You know one of the movies just out recently played by Will Smith (cant remember hte name..8days, hours something....) used a jelly to kill himself with! Yikes.....

The jelly is doing well, along with the other tanks with the exception of my reef tank. I had been fighting what I thought was just cyano for a while, however with everythign I did it did not improve. I cut my light cycle, I installed a phosban and carbon reactor, manual removal EVERY DAY...some times 2x a day, weekly water changes, cut feedings by over half......but kept getting worse and changed appearance a little. Got on rocks and on the corals and is now killing my corals. Phosphates neg, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate-nitrite, ph8, kH 9-11, ca 480.....so new diagnosis: DINOFLAGELLATE! It has wiped out my a big hunk of my birdsnest an is going on my other corals. I am manually removing it from my corals frequently, using a turkey baster to get it off.....so am working on raising pH above 8.4, have all lights off, and going to the store and YELLING over a my UV sterilizer....long story behind that but basically been without it for the past 2 months and since then this problem has gotten worse! Wish me LUCK!

11. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Your tanks are awesome. Bob is so cute.

12. Rebelsreef

Rebelsreef Astrea Snail

ad more current to your tank your getting dead spots and thats all ways were the cyano begins but but the jelly looks pretty cool