Ok, I need experienced help

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Robman, Jan 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

OK here are the pics

Acro---Looks worse this morning than last night. If it fully bleaches, can it come back? Or does that mean it is gone?
    [​IMG]

This is the Xenia Before.
    [​IMG]

and now
    [​IMG]
    Notice the New Babies on the lower right...They are thriving!!

This is one of the Frags..It has never been affected
    [​IMG]

Here is The Birdsnest I lost (White Overnight)
    [​IMG]

But here are the Frags from this same Birdsnest...Never affected.
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the rest of the Corals...All Growing and thriving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So what do you use for Alk/Ca? A alk of 7 and Ca of 500 is pretty imbalanced. Alk will change a little with PH, but it is not direct. You can have high Alk and low PH. When I was swinging my Alk around trying to get my dosing right, my corals were not very happy. I don't try to get extreme, just in the middle. Alk 9.6/Ca 430. Not exactly say ing that is your problem.

Have you looked for bugs on the SPS? Does not explain the softies, but it might not be one thing causing this. Could be two different offenders munching your corals.

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Hmmm...Never have seen bugs, But I will look. I usually never have to dose. My Alk is usually around 9-10. Ca Stays at 500 without any dosing. (Oceanic salt has alot of Ca.) Ph is also a little lower than normal. usually stays around 8.2. I have never tested this early. I manually turned on the lights to answer some of y'alls questions and take pics, so I dont know if the drop is from that or not.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, PH will be lowest before the lights come on. Could be CO2 and your house closed up. I see what you mean with your dosing and your salt.

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I buffed my drip in make up water with Seachem super buffer 8.3. It will take a day or 2 to drip in. Should I add anything yet for the dkh, or wait till later and re-test?

7. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Not to say this is the cause but late one night I was doing some tank maintenance and knocked a PH off. Well I hooked it back up and repositioned it. I really didnt pay attention but the PH was pointed directly at an acro and some xenia in the tank. I got up the next morning and went to work. When I got home from work that next evening the acros skin was gone and the xenia had melted away. I am guessing the PH blowed it away. Just something to think about.

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Good suggestion, but Nothing at all has moved...BTW Yamaha, I have 2 green chromis acclimating right now for the Pico!!

10. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I don't have anything to add really, but that is so sad. Your tank is beautiful!

11. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

LOL....couldnt wait huh. I thought about pulling my sons BW striped damsel out of his tank and putting him in there to cycle mine. Still havent made up my mind yet. Post a pic when you get them in the tank. Love to see what they look like in there. BTW Im sorry to hear about your coral issues.

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Thanks!!! I will get through it...even If thay all go I will get to buy new ones. You never stop learning in this hobby. Just another bump in the road. If everything was always perfect, what challenge would it be? You have to make mistakes to learn. I will post the pics of the Pico on the other thread. It should be about an hour. I am still open to more diagnosis on the coral issue. I have buffed the make up water. nothing else yet.