Ok For 125g to Not Sit on All 4 Corners of Stand?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by fishluver, Dec 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

I have a 125g dual overflow that I just set up, and as I was filling it with RO/DI water I realized the tank was not level.. Upon further investigation I noticed that one of the tank corners was not resting on the stand. I tried shimming (between carpet and stand) to try and raise up that low corner of the stand which didn't work, so it must be the stand itself that is not level. The gap size is about the width of a credit card. I contacted the manufacturer and they said there is no need to worry the tank will be fine and that this is common, I also googled the problem and basically read that if the tank is not perfectly level on the stand, it will cause the tank to bust... So basically Im confused from getting conflicted information about this. Is this OK? And if not, how do I go about fixing the gap? Here are some pictures---

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Reinstall windows?
    Sorry that's all I got :)

4. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would be very uncomfortable with that situation. The pressure on the suspended part of the tank will need to be relieved somehow and that relief is typically in the form of a busted tank since glass does not bend very well. I discovered this interesting fact when I had the bottom of a 150 gallon tank let go at 3 am. Not a fun experience. If it were me, I would drain the tank and do what ever is needed to support the entire tank edges and corners. If I'm wrong, then all you have lost is a little water and time. If I'm right, then your tank is saved and you can enjoy it for years without worry. Unfortunately you do not want to decide what to do with all your livestock at 3 am when your entire system is rapidly draining. It does however give one a sudden burst of creativity and enthusiasm for do it yourself engineering!

Billme likes this.
  5. dustin0479

dustin0479 Peppermint Shrimp

I would shim under the stand. Or at least get in writing from the manufacturer they say it is ok for when it blows.

6. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would be very uncomfortable with that situation. The pressure on the suspended part of the tank will need to be relieved somehow and that relief is typically in the form of a busted tank since glass does not bend very well. I discovered this interesting fact when I had the bottom of a 150 gallon tank let go at 3 am. Not a fun experience. If it were me, I would drain the tank and do what ever is needed to support the entire tank edges and corners. If I'm wrong, then all you have lost is a little water and time. If I'm right, then your tank is saved and you can enjoy it for years without worry. Unfortunately you do not want to decide what to do with all your livestock at 3 am when your entire system is rapidly draining. It does however give one a sudden burst of creativity and enthusiasm for do it yourself engineering!

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Is this glass or acrylic? What about shimming between the stand and tank rather then the carpet and stand?

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

ONe reason that when I built my current stand on my 180, I planed the surface as well as I could where the tank sits.
    It was still not perfect.

Did you do a fresh water test first?

Drain it,
    Level the stand the best you can, (the Stanley level app for IPhones/Droids is great for this)
    put the tank back on and put a ligfht inside or on the edges and look for gaps.
    shim the gaps the best you can, if they're small.

some Gaps ARE OK. Some Are not.

If the vast majority off that end of the tank is supported, then shim the rest/or not, a small gap that's only a few centimeters on one corner will not cause the tank to fail IMHO- if it's glass.
    My opinion is not meant to apply to acrylics.

I agree with the manufacturer- IF the stand is worthy, doesn't shift, and is close to level at the start.

10. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

Glass. I thought about that, but I also read online that this creates pressure points on the tank which might be worse than not having the corner supported at all... And also the shims wont really fit into the gap since it so small. You can get a credit card in there but nothing more.
    Yea I filled it with RO/DI, that is how I originally realized my tank was not level because all of the water was flowing into one of the overflows. The other overflow was receiving no water at all. I drained the tank right away, but left about 1" of water above the trim to measure the water line(to see if it is equal on both side of the tank).

Also my other problem is that I already plumbed and cemented in all of the plumbing.... It would be impossible to remove the tank without cutting out plumbing... Thanks for all the tips though!

11. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I noticed the contractor had not built my in-wall plumb when I added my water and that my tank wasn't sitting on all it's corners or edges. I spoke with my LFS and he called the tank manufacturer and they concurred with what you were told. However, I felt better with a new setup to go ahead and drain, level and ensure everything was resting on something. Just for my peace of mind, better now than "possible" problems later.

12. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Sorry one more thing. I agree that shimming can create more problems than leaving it as is.