Oil in the Gulf

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by reefmonkey, Apr 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

There plan to use balance of pressure to seal off the old sounds fairly feasible, but I wonder what their plans are after that. If they can't get down there to fix it now, how will the fix it after that? Will they just leave it like it is and hope nothing ever happens to upset the balance?

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

the part that befuddles me... do they not already have an actionable plan in place for this? Is this a completely new phenomenon that nobody thought could ever happen?

2 months? There should be regulations about that sort o thing. IMO ;)

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Experts are now confident this will be the worst oil spill disaster in US history. I just watched a Valdez Lessons segment on CNN and even though it's been 21 years since that wreck there is still oil present that is exposing wildlife to tar. It will be hundreds of years for that area to return 100% how it was before the accident.

Thanks above for the additional articles and the map!

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Something I just saw on CNN:

[​IMG]

They're considering using a giant funnel with a very long tube, and carting away oil in barges. I wonder where I heard that one before....LOL

10. stoney waters

stoney waters Fire Shrimp

any of u thaught that if 220k+gallons of oil are coming up a day in two months probably have of the ecosystem in the ocean will be wiped out which means coral is prolly gonna go up?

11. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

you do know that the wellhead is 40 miles se of venice LA right?? the "ocean" is not gunna get wiped out.. sure its going to be a mess, but everything isnt just gunna go extinct on us. The coral in the Gulf is not harvested anyway.. its a NMS and the other spots are isolated and alot further offshore.

12. blackraven1425

HRm....the only NMS in the gulf I could find (other than the Florida Keys) is this one, which isn't exactly where the oil is going to be affecting.

I don't know about collection from the area being affected, but you can rest assured a whole lot of sea-related industries are going to be hit. The shrimp fishers are freaking out about the area getting hit.