Oil in the Gulf

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by reefmonkey, Apr 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

The rig sank and the valve to shut down the leak is a few thousand feet below the surface. They've been trying to shut it off with robotic subs.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

This was passed along to me by a co-worker. Apparently it was generated from a firefighter on-site. I make no claims about anything regarding accuracy or its intent - I just wanted to share. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

View attachment Horizon1.pdf

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

thank you for sharing.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks for sharing this.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

:cry::cry: Already cleaning birds.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I know..I really wish I could go down and help out. I heard read an article last night that said the government anticipates such a huge mess they are considering training inmates from LA & TX how to clean up crude. This is horrible.

10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

What a terrible mess. I wonder what kind of atmospheric problems this is going to cause.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I remember them saying this. Does any one else besides me find it AWFULLY suspicious? They basically are saying that they won't do anything about the leaking well until a new one is drilled, so they don't have to stop production. Until then, they will just keep sucking off the new one, leak and all.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

They aren't sucking anything off the well that's there now. The rig they had doing that sank already. It's basically them saying "we can't get the right equipment out there for 2 months", which may be even more messed up depending on the reason.

The new well would be to relieve the pressure on the current well, and would basically "seal" it off with pressure. They'd use the force of water entering from the leaking well to balance the oil being taken out of the new well, so there's "no problem"....