Oil in the Gulf

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by reefmonkey, Apr 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

That's what I was figuring.

Public land and the fact that we live in a country that allows freedom to do most things.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. Is that even legal?

4. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

maybe shell bought it cheap?

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

BP and Shell work closely together in alot of facets from what I understand. In fact I recall them almost merging companies at one time a few years ago. So I am guessing that if anything, BP paid Shell for that sign cover in lieu of whats transpired in the Gulf and the boycotting thats taken place.

6. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Yes. I work in the convenience store industry and depending on your contract with your brand (BP / Shell / Mobil / Texaco / etc.) you can change at any time provided you pay the penalty. Most contracts are so deep that you can never get out. In your contract you agree to buy X gallons of gas on a monthly / yearly basis from your brand, and they provide you with signage and dollars that go towards technology such as your POS system, pumps, etc. You process credit cards through their credit network, and by paying the franchise fee you promote brand awareness for that Oil company and get a few things in return.

Where people are highly mistaken is that they think that the gas station is a "BP" or a "Shell" station, etc. - and that by boycotting the station they will actually in some way hurt BP. That's about as far from the truth as you can get. A gas station is lucky to make anywhere between 5-10 cents per gallon of gas, sometimes not that much. Also, the percentage of gas that they are required to buy from their brand's racks are very low. Most of the time they buy at the lowest price available, which is likely not their brand. A BP station is probably pumping 10% BP along with Shell, Exxon, Citgo, etc. Go down the road to Shell and they are pumping BP as well. It's all so highly mixed at the end that the only damage you will do is to the local business owner.

This station probably was boycotted so highly it made more sense for them to switch to Shell simply to get their station pumping again. They are still pumping BP gas. The majority of profit at a C-store is through inside sales, so just by paying the fees to cancel their agreement with BP they will likely now barely break even by gaining foot traffic again and increasing inside sales.

10. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I just watched a video about the relief wells. It stated that hopefully the wells will be done by mid August. ....... that sucks

11. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

heard today relief well is 20' parrallel and 900 ft depth further to go. get ready to jump on that dead cat bounce when they start pumpin the concrete!

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Are you saying when I go to Chevron, I'm not necessarily getting Chevron with Techron? Are you saying I don't only see Exxon fuel trucks filling the local Exxon station? I won't call BS Zach, but I'm close to it.