Oil in the Gulf

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by reefmonkey, Apr 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I hope BP goes under for this.. Not a change to the company name.. I mean under..

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

4. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

i couldnt say it any better.

out of site out of mind thinking.... it's very sad :-/

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Set private enterprise out to figure out a fix.

Remember when Iraq set all of the oil wells in Kuwait on fire? Governments couldn't figure out how to put them out it but people who worked in southern oil companies figured out a way. Remember, there were predictions of climate change, these wells will burn for years and years, etc. Well, a bunch of these people were given a monetary motivation (in addition to the humanitarian motivation) and they figured out how to stop those wells in no time at all.

That oil can't be used to produce gasoline anymore but I'm sure it could still be used by the steel industry. Give someone a monetary motivation to get it cleaned up. I don't care if a company who figures out how to clean it up gets rich. In fact, I hope they do. Don't let it get to the coast and get it out of there.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That is a great point inwall.
    Hopefully some creative can-do people will jump aboard to fix this ASAP.

Before we hang somebody, didn't this rig explode in a bad storm? Isn't that how this started? Does anyone know any good details on that?

7. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I can't help but wonder what's going to happen when the military gets involved,
    I have worked in the marine industry most of my life and whenever the coast guard or navy get's involved it usually turn's into a grade A cluster you know what.
    Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 it comes down to them getting in the way of any actual progress to the job at hand.
    Coasties: were going to board the clean up vessels and make sure that all of their paperwork is in order and shut down cleanup op's for a few hours just to make sure that Boudreax and Bubba are not terrorist.
    Navy: What are they going to do point guns at the oil and scare it away?

I apologize for the ranting i just have seen it too many times.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Dr. Gregory Bossart is being interviewed by CNN right now. If you remember, he was around during Valdez. I'll comment after listening to him.

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

As I understand it nobody but BP really knows what caused the explosion and they aren't talking publicly about it. They have offered to cooperate with the government but (and again as I understand it) only after threats of subpeona's were made by the Obama Admin.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

They should also be facing gargantuan fines for this spill. They reap huge benefits from oil rigs built on the country's land, and many of these companies tend to avoid very, very large portions of their tax obligations already.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That doesn't shock me at all. I've dealt with oil companies. I wanted permission to capture empty barnacles off their oil rigs (along with one of my favorite fish obviously). tessalated blenny - Google Search Oil companies really aren't that fun to deal with. Their advisors, rightly so, are telling them to be careful about what they say. (Rightly so according to professional ethics, not necessarily rightly so morally).

Here's what BP is going to have to decide. Is it cheaper to lose this oil, Trade Secrets, and "face" by letting this get cleaned up or is it cheaper to face thousands upon thousands of lawsuits. I think the former is cheaper. I won't buy oil from certain companies right now. (I'm not going to get into that because the thread would likely get too political and have to be closed). Depending on BP's reaction to this issue, they might have to consider boycott's into their cost of doing business. That's another factor.