...Oh yes I did, Advice??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by reefgirl16, Jul 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I think you can definitely over acclimate. I tend not to acclimate long if from a LFS. Usually just temp, splash some water in a few times and in you go. If shipped I'll acclimate a bit longer, but never more than an hour.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If an animal is shipped as soon as you open that bag up and fresh air rushes in you are going to have a significant pH shift or swing you are stressing an already stress animal.

In all my years of acclimating animals I can come to the conclusion, that if you do not start with a healthy specimen the odds are not in your favor. If you introduce a healthy specimen into a new tank or unstable tank the odds are not in your favor.

Most hardy fish do not need long acclimation, temp and pH acclimation. You create more stress to the fish by doing hour/hours long acclimation.

Inverts like shrimp, snails and starfish need longer and slower acclimation but under an hour.

Inverts like clams and hardy anemones acclimation to pH, SG and temp, but to not require long acclimation.

I have done both extremes long and short and this is the way it panned out for me.

4. reefgirl16

reefgirl16 Feather Duster

The store I got the anemone from said float inthere to adjust the temp then just plop it right on in there. Honestly I was astounded at that but i did a slow acclimate to be safe

Oh speaking of shrimp when i got my cleaner he just ran for the hills, then he tried to clean my fish, lol it freaked them out at first cuz they had no idea what he was about

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Thank you for sharing such wonderful advice. ::)::)::)::)

6. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

My avatar is a long T anemone that I put in at 6 months its now 12 months old he has grown and is a great add to my tank.

People can doubt and say what they want about the tank not being mature enough. Just takes a little more effort and alot more knowledge and you can do the same. If you have read alot on nems read more you can never know too much just not enough. Im sure he will be fine! Good luck

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

my thoughts exactly -,-

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I think what most of us are saying is the more proactive we can be to assure success the better.If you followed the op's threads you would see she just removed all of her rock and replaced it with dry rock right before her purchase.We are not saying these things to discourage anyone from owning one. We are just trying to help people not kill animals. A more mature tank would help you achieve a healthy specimen so whats wrong with that? Your effort will be far less and maybe you will gain some knowledge.

10. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Right. Besides allowing the tank to become stable, the other important thing about waiting Is that it gives the reefer time to learn and become experienced.
    It would not be easy to start with calculus 3. It's possible and some can do it as long as they work hard etc. But the odds are not in their favor. It would be better to start with algebra, then trig, then calc 1&2. Then (hopefully) you will be ready to do calc 3. Makes sense?

And reefgirl why did you take the original LR out?

11. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I've bought SOOO many critters that I almost immediately regretted buying. Hell, I've stood at the counter at the LFS while handing over my debit card knowing the whole time that I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing. It's okay. You'll do it a few more times, you'll learn the hard lesson for yourself why to be careful when making purchases. Sometimes we just need to learn things for ourselves through trial and error.

That being said, I don't really consider it to be a terrible purchase at all. I bought a BTA when I first started my tank and I didn't even tell anyone because I knew of all the flak I would catch. 6 months later the BTA is healthy and happy and a cool part of my system. So you never know.

12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

My thoughts exactly. Last batch of crabs I bought I think they were in the tank in 15 minutes lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk