...Oh yes I did, Advice??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by reefgirl16, Jul 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I wouldnt take it back, just leave and like said before provide it the best care you can. Also keep in mind that Nems pretty much do what they want make sure your power heads are covered and your lighting is up to par. As i posted before please read over the articles on this site A note from Karen - karensroseanemones.net many time as i have in the past and it help assist me in saving my GBTA that i ripped the foot on trying to move it myself.

2. Click Here!

3. reefgirl16

reefgirl16 Feather Duster

sigh, to answer acclimation questions, I didn't drip him but i did slowly add my water a lil bit at a time over the course of 1 or so hours. Right now I can test pH, Alk, trite, and trate. gonna do a lil more shopping today though. for more test kits that is

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It looks good so far. That does not guarantee it will next week... Karen's anemone pages are a great resource. Definitely reed them. Let the nem do it's thing. I don't think nems are that difficult, but they do rule the tank and need to be allowed to do what they want. The one good aspect, if there is one, about your situation is, as the nem wanders and settles in, there is nothing for it to sting. Also, on a side note, I wouldn't add a clown until it grows bigger. It is very small and the clown will stress it out at this point.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You are really going to need to stay on top of your ammonia and nitrite levels, because you removed your biological filter when you removed the old rock and replaced with new dry rock. The new rock is a step in the right direction, but you should have waited to get the anemone until the new rock had become seeded.

It is what it is, so just have new saltwater made up and ready to do a water change. Please test he water daily, do not have the LFS test, but test yourself and take the timely intervention should you see an ammonia spike.

6. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

I don't think 1 hour is that much, if they are as sensitive as everyone implies, it should be way longer, I usually acclimate fish for 2 hours, crabs for 1.5, and sensitive inverts (shrimp, nems, and starfish) for 3+ hours. If it was a 1.5 hour drive, odds are the water was hot you could have shocked him. Also, I'd wait on shopping for anything other than test kits for now, a dwarf angel, damsel, and clown are kind of a lot for your tank's age, not to mention you switched rocks out...

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I would do your test pH, nitrates, S.G., and Phosphates then lets us know how they look.

What kind of lighting and flow do you have?

How is your nem looking today? Did he flop upside down any or is he attached to something?

Just trying to help out.;D

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

While anemones are very sensitive creatures.. they are not THAT sensitive.. Some people over exaggerate on the difficulty to keep them. That is not to say that they are easy....

1.5 hours of acclimation should suffice, as long as she added tank water slow but often.

Everyone who says they havent had an impulse buy ever is lying :p me included, however... one must learn how not to do it again.. ( especially with the more delicate of them)...

i would go buy some silversides so you can feed the anemone. once every 3 days or so..( cut it in half and just place the piece on its tentacles.) i missed the thread, so how old is your tank?

I bought my first anemone on my 5th month of having my tank. However, i had read tons about them before i got it. I still have it almost 2 years later. It actually just split in 2, so now i have 2 of them :D

Know that anemones will move wherever they want to, so just keep an eye on it.. Do not return it, as it will just be more stress to the anemone. make sure you keep an eye on those parameters by doing constant checkups, and doing a water change if needed..

10. reefgirl16

reefgirl16 Feather Duster

SG 1.024
    trite 0ppm
    pH 8.1-8.2
    AMON. 0PPM
    trate 0ppm-5.0 ppm (closer to 0ppm though)
    alk 300ppm
    lol temp. 77-76degrees F

nem is attached to a rock in the crevice
    T5 OH 4X24watt 2 blue 2 white good bulbs
    and I'm hitting the 5 month mark with it

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  11. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

when I read this a big smile came to my face, good for you reefgirl get-r-done. James

12. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Not sure about the 300ppm for the alk . . . what test kit ya got for that? usually values are 8-12 dKh or measured in meq/L.

Also, pH, Ammonia, and Nitrate/Nitrite look good!

I would bring your SG up to 1.026 - it will make keeping other values stable easier. Are you using a refracto for that one? or a hydrometer? Refractometers are a lot more accurate.

Lastly, did not see values for calcium or magnesium - these are vital to successfull reefkeeping and paramount to nem' care. Your mag should be around 1300-1450 ppm and your calcium should be in the area of 400-450 ppm.

Still kinda confused on the ppm value for alk tho . . . tough to tell your true water quality without the "big three" - alk, calcium, mag. . . .