...Oh yes I did, Advice??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by reefgirl16, Jul 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

How did you acclimate him?

Found the site lots of great info here http://www.karensroseanemones.net/anotefromkaren.htm

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

+1 to this. Age has nothing to do with it - especially in on online format where the playing field is very equal. One's words define one's existence - not the two digit number next to one's age.

Reefgirl16 - while you will find a ton of support and advice on this forum - you are also going to get candid responses - especially when the title of your thread suggests: "I know I was not supposed to and I went against all of the advice I was given/have read and got one anyway so now help me even though I am already not following your advice."

4. reefgirl16

reefgirl16 Feather Duster

Sigh, that phraseing is asking for trouble isn't. Well while it's recommended that u wait i didn't, all prams were in check everyone was healthy and happy, i had lighting and flow so i figured why not. I did lots of reaserch on anemones b4 i got it. But i'm sorry i had a moment of self doubt. It doesn't help when ppl bash me down i do that enough to myself. Ever since i started this hobby i've taken it in baby steps.

5. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I was thinking the same thing! Not bashing, just sayin'. We have done it before. I'm sure pretty much everyone hs done something like that. I did it before I knew much and before I was on a forum. You were on a forum first and you did ask if it was ok to get one (I think yesterday). If I can recall correctly the consensus was to either get something else or wait.

I am not calling you stupid at all, I promise. But I do think it was careless of you to get one when others that have done the same thing before told you otherwise. there is a reason why this is a forum. If you knew there was a chance in harming the animal why did you get it? Just seems like you didn't care completely.

But its ok. If you take reall good care of him he will most likely be perfectly fine. Make sure you have reef like water chemistry. IMO you should watch to make sure you don't have any sg swings, no alk swings, no pH swings etc. no ammonia, trates, trites, phos etc. At least try lol. Smetimes those are harder to keep low. What test kits do you have? Feed him little chunks of raw seafood like silversides once a week. I bet you can do it. (just don't do it again! Lol)

Not being rude. It seems like you are doing good. You got some sand, Some more rock, A good light. I see tons of improvement already since you first posted like a month ago! Keep it up. Keep reading. Keep learning. And keep practicing. You messed up but you are trying to fix that. That's good. Oh and keep asking questions, it's good for you!

6. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

People aren't bashing you, there are reasons people tell you to wait, it's hard but if you want everything to be happy it's worth it. Most people on here have lots of experience too, so I'd say they are right, you're tank is still young enough that you easily could have a mini-cycle while adding fish or rock and it could kill the anem. There is also a reason certain species are marked as harder to care for than others, it doesn't mean it can't be done, but I'd say more often than not, higher care requirement fish/coral are marked for a reason.

7. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Don't think anyone is BASHING you . . .trust me when I tell you that if you read on some other forums people seem to get great joy out of flaming each other. That is generally not the rule here at all. But you will see very candid and honest opinions - especially when one solicits advice. It's one thing for people to post disparraging remarks when you are in a "show off your fish tank" thread. But in a thread where you ask for advice, you are going to get it - sometimes the advice is not what you wanted to hear or hard to digest, but I can assure you, most of it will be good advice and worth the consideration.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Magnett2

Now to the important stuff. What are all of the params you can measure? Specifically like leighton asked. How did you acclimate it? They can be sensitive and how you did it could make it harder for him.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Exactly!!!!!

We do not bash here, but with repeat offenders that do not do research prior to purchases I become less likely to contribute to their thread.

One example might be when they ask for assistance regarding the death of their damsel, the mostly likely cause is provided by more than one person, but the poster comes back and says the fish died of shock and makes no immediate attempt to improve the situation that caused the demise of the damsel.

It's a wonderful hobby, the enthusiasm is crazy and impulse buys are nearly impossible prevent. Just do not be a repeat offender and dismiss advice so quickly please.

:)

1 person likes this.
  11. reefgirl16

reefgirl16 Feather Duster

:cry:lol, y'all are so critical and honest, and then encourageing. look i can take it back if i have to, but it's an hpur and a half drive through downtown hpuston trafic

12. Magnett2

No don't. Really, it would be worse to take it back. Just take care of it.