Oh Yea, Finally Have A Real Tank, lol

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Birchell, Dec 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Hey guys,

Well for x-mas my family got together and got me a 100 gallon tank. This is great!! I now compared to the mosters some of you have this is small, but 100 gallons is a monster for me, lol. And when your upgrading from a 15 gallon this is like the ocean, ha. I will start posting pic of the process of staring the tank later the week. I had to refinish the stand, so while that drys, im going to disasimble one of my 55 gallon freshwater tanks to make room for the new 100. I have 100 lbs of fine white sand, and plan on getting some live and base rock in the next week or two. I dont like the wall of rock, so im gonna try something cool, so hopfully when I get the pics up youll like the idea, he he. What do you guys think about flow?? I have 2 maxi-jet 1200's in mind, but do you think I will need 3 or 4?? I dont want a hurrican in there, but I would like a good flow. Im running a smaller skimmer for now, but im not to worried. SPS corals are not in the picture for a while, lol. How deep of a sand bed would I need in this tank to have a deep sand bed. I read that the bigger the tank the deeper the bed.?. I have 3 inches in the nano and that seams to work, but Im only gonna have enough sand for 2 inches for now. But sand is "dirt" cheap right now. A new petco opened up so.... they are going to get some visits!! Lighting will be the next big thing. It is hard to find 60" lights so I was thinking of getting a canopy and setting up t-5's in there. How many do you think I will need? Im only going to have softies, lps, and mushrooms in there, and I really dont want to have to deal with MH lighting( all the heating problems ). Let me know what you think, and if I missed anything importand let me know, lol.

Michael

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Congrats! A 100 gal is really a nice upgrade hah. Lets see...for the power heads...you can start with those two and see how they work in the tank and if you need to add more later deal with it then :). As for the sand...if you want to go for a DSB i would say 3-4inches should be good. Im very happy you are looking into t-5 lighting. It really is a great system. All my sps that were doing bad under my PCs are all really doing well with the t-5 lighting.

Good luck! Can wait to see those pics.

4. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Nice! You scored for xmass. Good luck on the tank.

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Thanks guys, Ill get some pics up in the few days, :p.

6. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Pics, lol

well i got my lazy butt off the chair and went out to the garage and got some pics. the stand still has the doors off, but you can see the new color of the wood. when i got it, the wood was unfinished ( just the way i like it, lol) so i could stain it the color i wanted. plus i didnt want a shiny stand. the tank came with lights, but ill only use them till i get the canopy, and the t-5's, he he. till then the 15 gallon will keep the corals, but not the fish. then ill use the 15 for a refug. hope everyone had a great x-mas like me, he he. have a great new year,

Michael

the last pic is of the door that i have not finished yet to show what the wood looked like before the finish. yould redone them too, lol

Attached Files:

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Awsome! Looking good so far :D

8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Wow, 15 to 100?? Thats freaking awesome! My dream size is 100-125 so I'm jealous! Hehe. One thing that maybe you didnt think about is a good heater to keep that big guy warm. Not sure if thats all that necessary in NM but hey. Also what do u think you will do for filtration? A tank that size really would do best with a sump. They are just so much better anyways (here I am going on about that and i still just have my power-filter, hehe....meh). I truly think you will need more then 2 PHs but like Bruce said you can evaluate that later on. Good luck, and keep the pics coming!

10. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

lol, ill go offline sometime. Thanks for all the quick posts. This is my dream size tank also. I wouldnt mind a 125 but i think this will be easier to move if I have to move later. I am really thinking of using the my old 55 for a sump. I just need to get an overfow, and a pump. But Ill think of that later when corals are coming into site. Right now Im about to order a generic wave maker system. It has 3 maxi-jet 1200's with a timer. 80 bucks is not to bad. Ill see what I need after that. As for filters, im gonna put the current HOB filter from the 15 on the tank to help seed the tank, plus with no fish in the 15 I want need the HOB anymore. Ive got a red sea prizim deluxe for now. Ive never had a skimmer before, and belive that softies do better with a little nutrition in the water. I dont plan on getting sps corals. Also I have 100 lbs of sand, 40 lbs of live and 60 lbs of dry white fine arginite. I will be putting in base rock right way, and then will get some live rock after the tank has water. As for heaters, im thinking of putting 2 200 watt heaters, I have another post on that, lol. Ill keep the pics coming, and hopfully the tank will have water this weekend, :p

11. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

update

base rock came in today, and my wavemaker system will be in next week. Oh and the heaters. I got the stand done, and like the way it came out. Also got the back of the tank painted with black kylon fusion paint. Im hoping to have water in the tank this week end but im not gonna rush it. I need to find some good live rock so it can cycle with the tank. Once the tank starts cylcling im gonna start saving up for a sump system, and or lighting. Im not sure if I want a canopy with a reto t-5 kit, or MH lighting. Does HM lighting work in a canopy? The tank is in my bed room and I dont want my whole room blue, lol. Well that is all I have for today,

Michael

Attached Files:

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Awsome upgrade, after I get this 55 gal mastered I will be looking for a tank to put in the basement and have a 3 sided view and all the equipment on the fourth side......there I go dreaming again....;D Someday!