Oh No.....I found a spider in my Salt Tank

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by CODEE111, Apr 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

I bought several Zoa colonies from a friend a couple months ago and I obtained them for a great price. They did really well for awhile but then refused to open up. Lately, they have been deminishing away and went from many heads to just a few. My first thought was Nudibranch so I got the trusted magnifying glass out and sure enough....there they were. I have picked out a fuzzy green critter, a long thin spyro looking piece of rice critter with tentacles, a tiny orance looking star fish critter, and several green with brown spotted critters on or around my Zoas, all of which I believed to be the dreaded Nudibranch.
    I have been picking them out all week with tweezers and have been keeping an eye on them with magnifying glass in hand. I noticed my Mushrooms were not swelling and knew something was bothering it. Last night, I looked under the Mushroom Colony and found a spider. This thing had large pinchers coming out by it's mouth (it did not look like a crab) and scared me. I've been sticking my hand in there since I started the tank. 1.) I'm allergic to Spiders and 2.) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the Antibionic on hand to treat myself if I did get bit if there is even a cure for that.

Does anyone know of anyway to kill this critter without physically removing it? I am off tomorrow and am going to put peroxide and revive on my Zoas to take care of the Nudibranch problem and will be moving them out of the bio cube and into the 95 gallon tank.
    But the spider (?) is my big problem. I ran to get my tweezers and net but he was already gone so I couldn't catch him or get a picture of him for someone to help with identification. What I do believe is he probably came in on the Indo Pacific Zoas I obtained, he is white, has pinchers, multiple legs, and I believe he is living under the Mushrooms.
    I surfed the net and looked at images of the Teddy Bear Spider, Zoa eating Predator spiders, and sea spiders. None looked like it. I did find a picture on the internet that resembled him but it was a land spider not saltwater.
    Can anyone help me on this? it would be greatly appriciated and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Click Here!

3. Prince_Namor

Prince_Namor Astrea Snail

I'm gonna say it's probably some kind of crab.... Post the picture you found..... Sally Light foot looks like a spider so does a decorator crab...... I had a crab living in my tank for about six months before I even knew he was in there........

4. CODEE111

This is about as close as I could get to a picture. I know this one is a land spider but it is very similar. I did not see any eyes, I was focusing on the large pinchers and his legs did not sit up as high but this was the closest pic I could get to the one I saw. His backside sat up really high and he was really white. I've had the Sally Lightfoots before. Definitely not one of those and not an Arrow Crab, a Decorator Crab, or Emerald Crab. Looked more like a spider.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. CODEE111

I'm gonna tear my bio cube apart this weekend and try to catch, trap, kill whatever this is. The hubby wants to keep it....I think he's losing his mind.

6. Prince_Namor

Prince_Namor Astrea Snail

Yeah I would at least wanna know what it is....

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I would pay for shipping of a live specimen.... :)

8. Click Here!

9. CODEE111

Hopefully I can get him out without killing him. If so, you are more than welcome to it. When I put the magnifier on him, I knew I had no idea what it was and I am afraid to put my hands in there now. I have some of the heavy blue gloves and hope to catch him tomorrow.
    Maybe he's a meat eater and I can trap him in a jar or something.
    I'll set a trap tonight.....if not.....peroxide tomorrow and tear the tank up. Hopefully he doesn't crawl into a rock that I move to the main tank.
    Wish me luck......:eek:

10. CODEE111

My friend came over today and we started looking at the tank with magnifiers. We located the spider looking thing under a rock near the Mushrooms and it is a little smaller than the size of a Bumble Bee snail when you get them at the LFS. She acknowledge what I said, that it did look like a spider and was white. When I moved the rock he was under, she discovered what looked like 2 smaller spiders but they were so small and she couldn't be sure if they were same thing or not as they were tiny and ran really fast. The large one ran to the back of the tank. What she believed to be the 2 small ones went inside one of my rocks. She watched the rock while I pulled it out and it is now sitting outside on the picnic table in a large plastic ice cream bucket. I'm hoping they will come out on their own but I'm thinking, just to be safe, I will get the chisel and hammer out tomorrow and break the rock in half to see if there are little spiders inside it. I'll post photos if I find anything interesting.

11. BlueWaters10

BlueWaters10 Skunk Shrimp

Wow. I hope you don't crack that open and have hundreds of spiders run out.

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal