odyssea quad t5 with lunar LEDs?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Thegrimreefer, May 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thegrimreefer

Thegrimreefer Astrea Snail

Anyone currently using one of these fixtures? Could they be any good for a standard 29 gallon reef tank with a RBTA??

2. Click Here!

3. jr.renzo

jr.renzo Plankton

I would stay away from Odyssea. I have read a lot of posts on aquarium forums telling of horror stories. My cousin also tried one, the build quality was poor and the lamps are not reef worthy.

JR

4. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

hey grimreefer

I have owned an Oddysea 36' 406watt fixture before and it was a beast for the price I paid !!!

But there are many horry stories out there from people who recieved broken fixtures and had a VERY hard time returning them, as well as some fires in the early PC fixture days.

They have stepped up their game, and if you buy aftermarket bulbs you should be fine.

BUT honestly, these are two links are a WAY better option ANY DAY for T5 lighting and could fully support any Anemone

BOTH OF THESE ARE AVAILABLE IN 30inch FIXTURES
    This is a Quad T5 with built in timers and fans
    AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs

and this is a single strip with no timer or fan
    AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - Marine

(If I were you, and just wanted to keep soft corals, fish, and Anemones, just pay 115 for the single dual T5)

5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I had the quad 48" with moon lights. It worked good for about 6 months. Bulbs aren't great. After 6 months one t5 ballast web out and then a month later the other ballast went out. For the price to replace the 2 ballasts I could buy a new fixture. I saved up and bought a good fixture. You do get what you pay for but in a pinch they are good. Not long term but for a short time they work good. IME. Some say they last longer but not for me.
    Good luck in your decision.

6. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

I had the 24" fixture on my first salt tank in my high school days. You definitely get what you pay for. It didn't fit right on the top of my tank, does not have individual reflectors, the stock bulbs are horrible, and the way they are held in is really bad (aka a pain in the *** to change bulbs). I eventually put ATI's in it but even still it was overall pretty bad.

The aquaticlife fixture mentioned above is leaps and bounds better. I have the six bulb model now and am in love with it.

7. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I didn't mention it I. My post but I too switched to an aquatic live 4 bulb t5 2 hi fixture and absolutely love it.

Another thing about the odyssey is the non corrosive coating only lasted a couple months and exposed bare metal. I too had trouble with the mountin legs and had to cut and modify to fit.

8. Click Here!

9. S13coupe

S13coupe Plankton

I have the 48" 216W, It has 2 fans and 8 led shimmers. I love it so far but just got it a month ago. Bulbs seem good to me, built in timers are awesome! $130 with the hanging kit, cant beat that.