Odyssea Lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Black_Raven, Jun 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

From what I have read the Coralife lights aren't built any better but they are more expensive so people assume they are getting a better light.

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I can only speak for the coralife stuff...I have 3 of their fixtures, and they are great. One is 4 years old, and the only thing I have had to do with it is change out bulbs as they aged. From what I have read in this thread and others...I'd say there is no comparison between coralife and oddysea. Again, based on what I have read about odyssea only.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont regret buying Odyssea, even if I "had" to buy new ballasts and such, its still a great buy. I still say that the key to buying Odyssea light fixtures is that you need to be handy. If your not handy and dont have a little knowledge of elec., dont get it. I've had my lights going on 3 yrs now and it looks like if I bought it yesterday. The unit still has the black powder coating, which "usually" comes off with the salt creep. Its not a Rolex, but its a good Timex or Citizen or even a Casio.;D

[SCROLL]Luna[/SCROLL]

5. hanginten

hanginten Astrea Snail

The only thing i swapped out was the LOUD fan on my 48" to a sunon 240V/AC fan and a capacitor. I was going to add a potentiometer to the standard fan, but there was a mechanical hum with it. 2X250W MH stay cool and i can't hear the fan from 2ft away. I'll prob give the $15 ballast mod a try at some time as well. Other than that, i dont think you can beat it for the price.

Parts:
    Fan
    Cap
    Wire (optional)

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. PhotographyBRO

PhotographyBRO Plankton

Which Blubs for the 250w IceCap Ballast replacement

One thing I read on all the sites I reviewed indicated that I should swap the ballast, so i ordered the IceCap 250w replacement, got it for $99.00. I have seen a few people mention that the stock bulb (250w HQI) should be replaced as well.. Anyone done this? and what blub were you most happy with? BTW even paying for the addiditonal ballast, blub and fixture still (CHEAPER) here in the desert of Las Vegas.

7. PhotographyBRO

PhotographyBRO Plankton

Thanks for the advice and information

Thanks for the advice (better Toyota than Lexus!!) Any suggestions on the bulbs (250w) with a new ICECap ballast. Or did you keep the stock blubs? BTW.. I have "no" corals in my tank yet I am just getting re-started after a couple of years of taking a break from the hobby.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Your gonna love the IceCap's, great ballasts. I had to buy 20k bulbs b/c the 14k where too strong and bleaching some of my corals. Luna

10. PhotographyBRO

PhotographyBRO Plankton

yup... got it today.. BIG DIFFERENCE. I dont have any corals yet.. soon. and I guess I am going to keep the stock blub.

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

coral life ballast are a bit heaver then the odyssea

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid