Odyssea Lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Black_Raven, Jun 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey naldopr, If you want to have stonies, you need to keep in mind that you need 9 watts of light per gal. Stonies need more light than other corals. I hope this helps. Lunatik_69

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Odyssea lighting fixtures

Does anybody know of a web site that sells this brand, parts and bulbs. I've tried looking for the company on line but with no luck.:-[ If anybody can shed some light on this matter, please let me know. thanks

4. AGY

AGY Plankton

I have the new model or 2nd generation of Odyssea Lights with 5 individual plugs. it has been working just fine for the last 6 months however I had to replace so far 3 coralife dual power bars!!!

The lights are 48" double MH wit 4PC and 6 led moon lights 760watts total
    I am not sure if I have bad luck or the store from where I got them had a bad batch. (They have replaced 3 bars and now they have refunded the money)

I have an electrician checking the electric outlets and the ballast and the lights all are working properly he believes the coralife were defective does anybody has the same experience?

The weird thing is that the timer that has burn or stop working is the pc lights which is not much for wattage 260 plus the fan considering the daylight outlets are handling 500watts with the MH. The coralife power bar is ok for up to 1860 watts I believe so I am not sure what is going on.

My next step is getting another coralife bar from a different store and see what happen if it breakdown again then I will know that it must be something within the lights which I doubt.

eBay.ca: VHO 48" 760W Metal Halide Reef light Aquarium Lighting (item 120143375861 end time 25-Jul-07 14:52:33 EDT)

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Agy, when you say Coralife power bar, are you refferring to the dual power center, power stripe? If so, those power centers can't handle the draw from your lights. I went through three of them before contacting a Coralife tech. He said the only power stripe that can handle that kind of draw was the digital power stripe. The draw back to that was, for me, I would have had to buy two digital power stripes for all the cords and equipment that I have. I hope this has helped you. Lunatik

6. AGY

AGY Plankton

Lunatick

Thanks a lot for your comment. Yes it is the dual power bar form coralife.
    well I have burned 3 so far. I can't believe that the box or instruction does not mention anything about the draw from MH

Coralife will be getting a lot of these units until they disclaim the use of MH. I will mention that to my local shop. The owner was embarrassed thinking that I was going to change stores because of all the grief with the lights.

Thanks again
    AGY

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Agy, you said that you have Odyssea lights? Which one, how long have you had it and how are they doing? I just replaced the cooling fan. When I opened up the unit, I found that it only had 2 cooling fans, one small one on the left side and a slight bigger one on the right side( cord side ). what I did was, I replaced the smaller one with 2 fans( same size ) and replaced the larger one with another pair of smaller fans. What a difference, the lights are so much cooler than before. Let me know.

8. Click Here!

9. kedron

kedron Flamingo Tongue

my odyssea light system is the 48' mh 760 watts my only problem is that the switch for the blue actinic does not work but other than that they are very good lights i am thinking about changing the 250 mh bulbs to a 150 bulb and changing the balast to a 2x150 e ballast but have to ask a few more questions first to see if it is posible

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Just replace the switch. You might be able to just change the bulbs without changing the ballast, look into it.

11. AGY

AGY Plankton

Lunatik

I am thinking replacing the noice fan I know you did yours any advise?

which fan brand should I use and which kind of specs do I have to have?

Thanks

12. darrell

darrell Astrea Snail

I have the new 60" 1072watt fixtures man i love it, but i did take some precautions i have a small fan on the three ballast they never even get warm i also have all the lights on digital timers so they dont have big power surges anyway i love the light for the price great!!!!!!! i really had a hard time finding a 60" fixture with 3- 250 watt MHs so i really like it I hope you have as good of luck as me