Odyssea Lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Black_Raven, Jun 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. naldopr

naldopr Plankton

I have a 90g 48x24x19H"
    I will like to have stony and soft corals in my tank.
    you guys think that their MH 692 watt is fine! or it will be to much light?
    thanks
    arnaldo

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Update Update Update

Well I got mine on June 21st, 2006 (I remember because I was so excited). So that puts me at almost the 6 month mark, with not a single issue. Thusfar, even though I admit getting pretty freaked out after hearing about the fires, I believe I did not get a lemon fixture *heavy sigh of relief.* Again, my corals are still flourishing under this lighting arrangement. I check my ballast every now and then and I dont think it really gets that hot. I have definitely never smelled anything burning when I come home. Naturally, if anything bad happens you guys will be the first to know). But so far so good. Still runs whisper quiet, too!

4. robe62

robe62 Plankton

my yellow tag

hi i need help.
    my yelow tag get 2 white lines one and each side on the body,and a dont now what to do.
    i buy star fish 2 days ago and die last night. so please any advise.
    thank you

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Those white lines are normal! They are more prominent when they are frightened or when the lights just come on. They are also more prominent if they are not feed enough algae in their diet.

6. rking

rking Astrea Snail

My 2 cents

I've observed 3 different brands of fixtures in my limited reef time. I have a Catalina aquatics PC light on my 55, and a friend of mine has a Coralife PC on his 55 and an Odyssea PC on his 125. None of the 3 are MH lights, but the new multi plug, electronic ballast Odyssea MH's are supposed to be an improvement. Of all 3 brands, I'm most impressed with the Odyssea. They just seem to build a slightly better product than the other two. My catalina came with no splash guard and has convection cooling (i.e. no fans on the dang thing) and the Coralife just seems flimsier than the odyssea. The only problem with the odyssea was that one of the ballasts was unplugged upon delivery and after a 5 minute fix it has been working fine since.

7. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

I have the 36 in on a timer

HI,
    Mine has 3 plugins came with the stand (extra with the corallife) I ve already ordered replacemnt bulbs its been burning 8 hours a day since feb 14, the do get rather warm, but thats a lot of light.
    My corals are gowing, my anomone is growing, and ready to split,
    The repleacement bulbs were pretty resonable I opted for the 1/2 white 1/2 blue per bulb that way it will add my acentic in the front of the tank.
    If I had bought the same system as a corallife it would have bee twice as much plus the stand. I paid 80 bucks
    Doug
    [​IMG]
    Total output: 192W
    Supports: 2 x 96W CF, 3 x Double Bluemoon LED
    Fixture Size: 35.25" x 7" x 2.75"
    Ballast Type: Internal Electronic
    Power Cords: 3
    On/Off switch: 3
    Cooling Fan: 2 Built-In
    Splash Protection: Acrylic Lens
    Mounting Leg: Included (Max Reach: 36")
    Hanging Kit: None
    Type of Bulb: Straight Pin CF
    Free item pre-installed to the fixture is 1x 96W CF 12000K bulb, 1x96W CF Actinic Blue bulb, 3xBluemoon LED. No substitution available for free item
    [​IMG]
    Specifications

Reg Price Web Price Availability

18.90 Y

I believe they had problems and are getting it right now, its up to you what you buy.
    I may order a second for my fresh water system that is a 90 OP octagan rather than order those replce the coral life bulbs on it.

8. Click Here!

9. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have had a 48" Odyssea PC for almost a year now and the only problem I have had out of it is the noisy fan and the switch every now and then has to be pushed a little bit harder to start up but other then that it works great.On a side not I have been in this aquatrader store and well even though the products are cheaper you can really see why if you see the store in person.They have lots of open box deals but its funny because well they built the light fixtures in there own store.How they build so many I have no clue but they do it.An they also distibute fish and some corals and inverts to a lot of local pet stores in the area under bad conditions.The products are fine I do believe it is hit or miss with them you either get lucky or not.But if you luck out they can be great lights at really low costs. A few other things I bought form them I bought a odyssea protien skimmer that thing was long replaced simply didnt skim anymore and the seals started going bad. An as for the lights I can pretty much only find replacement bulbs at there store not to much of a hassle I live about 45 min from them. An have to drive by there anyway on my way to work.As far as MH go well I really dont know about them but I do know there business is chinese owned not that that matters but you can tell they use really cheap materials to put a fixture together but like I said hit or miss with these guys.

10. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Hey thats good to know

Hi,
    Thoses odessa are bult in america ( may be made in china) hehe , not some sweat shop in china, by poor people and kids working for pennies.
    DOug:p

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Raven, I have a 48" metal halides( 692 watts in total; (2) 250 watt. metals and (2) 96 watt actinics with 6 lunar lights) from Odyssea since nov. of last year and everything is going good, so far. My only complaint is that it makes a noise inside the unit and I havent figured out why, yet. Its not the fan, although, I'm replacing the fan today b/c its not working correctly. I tried to find the web site for Odyssea to buy the fan, but with no luck. The guy with whom I bought it from won't reply my emails. I also went with Odyssea b/c of the monetary difference. I only spent $329 instead of spending almost $1000.00 for the same light and features. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. For me, I dont mind the " cheaper " quality b/c I'm very handy and can fix just about anything. I hope this has helped you in any way. Lunatik_69;D

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Raven, I have a 48" metal halides( 692 watts in total; (2) 250 watt. metals and (2) 96 watt actinics with 6 lunar lights) from Odyssea since nov. of last year and everything is going good, so far. My only complaint is that it makes a noise inside the unit and I havent figured out why, yet. Its not the fan, although, I'm replacing the fan today b/c its not working correctly. I tried to find the web site for Odyssea to buy the fan, but with no luck. The guy with whom I bought it from won't reply my emails. I also went with Odyssea b/c of the monetary difference. I only spent $329 instead of spending almost $1000.00 for the same light and features. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. For me, I dont mind the " cheaper " quality b/c I'm very handy and can fix just about anything. I hope this has helped you in any way. Lunatik_69;D