Odyssea Lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Black_Raven, Jun 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jane Han

Jane Han Plankton

In years Odyssea might make a big come back in market, and the prices goes up.Odyssea light is known for quality. Take a Look.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Could be, we all have humble beginings only to blow up in the future.

Luna

4. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Yup......

I have a 6-7yr old Corallife 500w fixture. Very, very "solid" (like a tank!). Gotta agree with Luna. I was gonna buy a new sytem, "upgrade" to a 2X250w with 4-T5's......just because, I guess. This was for my new 120g reef that I just finished plumbing this month. I decided to play around with the spectrums and different type of bulbs, etc.(buddy works at LFS). I stayed with the Coralife fixture. Opened it up an spent 2 days just cleaning it up and re-tightening screws, blew out the fans and whatnot. I changed out and settled for 2 -150w 14K Ushio (middle of the road) & the 2-96w PC's to Sunpaq or something like that (not cheap!!), 1-50/50, the other Actinic.

Man, you just cannot believe the change!!! I'm just glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon and spend, spend, spend just because everyone else does. Take time and check your stuff out or learn how to do-it-yourself. You'll save big $$$ !!!

I put some of the savings into a new Ca Reactor and some real nice chalices.:cheesy:

5. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

+1 with jonine. I had a 48 inch odyssea fixture and the same thing happened to me. I opened it up and the compassitor(spelling) had burned or melted. Could not find a replacement for it so I spent the money and got a Coral Life fixture in it's place.

l

6. atcaw94

atcaw94 Astrea Snail

I'm looking at the Odyssea lights also. I am transferring from a 55gal to a 58gal/sump with a canopy and am wondering if the 442W metal halide system would be o.k. I don't want to get in to a chiller situation. Or should I go with 2 of the T5HO systems? I currently have LPS corals.
    Thanks

7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

The new odyssea pro T5 fixtures look pretty decent. They have builtin digital timers for the led, actinics, and daylights. They have single reflectors for each bulb and only one power cord! I think it goes for about $130. I would check it out. That would be more than enough light for a 55g. You could keep anything.

8. Click Here!

9. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

I as well as 2 of my friends love our odyssea fixtures. I have the 48" 2 250w MH, 4 65w pc actinics, and 12 moonlights. My bulbs are getting old. I am going to change spectrums. Move up to the 15k from aquatraders. I have 10k bulbs now on my mh.

10. atcaw94

atcaw94 Astrea Snail

You really think just one of these 156Watt would do? I don't see where they have the built in timers.
    Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting

Here's the MH one:
    Odyssea Metal Halide System

11. loyalrogue

loyalrogue Plankton

How did you like the 15k bulbs?
    I am thinking about ordering the 72" 3x250w MH/PC fixture which comes with the 15k bulbs.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

its been a while since anyone has been on this thread... but to answer your questions, the ballast really underpowers the bulbs and makes them look yellow... very yellow!

You will likely have to replace the bulbs right away with a nice brand name bulb. Additionally, the ballast is really cheaply made. My dad has this fixture and this morning one of the ballasts died so we had to head out and purchase a new icecap ballast to replace it with.