Odyssea Lights

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Black_Raven, Jun 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vushnick

vushnick Astrea Snail

So do 20k for both MH. What about the spectrum for the 4x65watt CF? Should I do 2 actinic blues and 2 50/50 or 12k? I'm gonna run both MH and CF. How often do you do replacements compared to better brands? Twice as often or only a 2/3 ratio?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If I where in your shoes, I would use all four PC as Actinics and maybe go up to 14k MH bulbs. 20K bulbs will make your tank too blueish. As far as when to change out the bulbs?

Good quality bulbs;
    MH bulbs= every yr
    PC bulbs= every yr

Cheap bulbs;
    MH bulbs= between 6-8 months
    PC bulbs= between 6-8 months

I like to change out the bulbs(MH & PC) at the same time and I write the date when I changed them.

Having said this, I have 250w bulbs, not 150w like you do. Your gonna have to play it by ear and play around with different configurations to get the look that your looking for.

Luna

4. vushnick

vushnick Astrea Snail

I see. I think I will take your advice and see how that goes. I will order extra spectrums just in case the color isn't to my liking. I'm just curious. What happens if you use the bulbs over the recommended period? Does it just loose it's wattage or luminosity? I've heard from some LFS reps that they just use it til it burns out.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The minute the bulbs are powered up, they start losing they're spectrum and Par/Pur values. The corals will let you know when you have passed the recommended time frame of the bulbs. You will notice a decline in their appearance. I dont recommend going pass a bulb's life period.

Luna

6. vushnick

vushnick Astrea Snail

Thanks. I'm thinking all of my bulbs are probably near its end because I've been having a pretty hard time keeping coral alive, especially new frags ever since I aquired a set up from a prior owner. Been battling water chemistry but the only thing is my nitrate being at 20 but all else is normal. I think that may be all I need to do next. I may just go in and replace all my bulbs.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Oh, I forgot to mention, you will start to see an algae bloom too.

Luna

8. Click Here!

9. hanginten

hanginten Astrea Snail

About time for new bulbs/ballats for me, mind giving some info on what you've swapped out to?

Also do you run just the 2x250s or do you use actinic supplementation as well?

10. Decaff

Decaff Plankton

Can someone tell me where else I can get a full line of Odyssea products other than Aquatraders.com? I absolutely hate the idea of being raped on the shipping!

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Theres a bunch of vendors on Ebay.

Luna

12. Decaff

Decaff Plankton