octopus at my LFS

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by leighton1245, Apr 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yup extremely and it's not a quick process, my Ursala took about 2 months of not eating and sitting quietly. :cry:

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

That is so very sad,

I have been reading that it is believed that they only live as long as they do becuase of their mating habits- but what about those that are tank raised and do not mate? Seems from what I have read they can actually live a bit longer in captivity- but this is 50/50 from what I have been reading- I find it odd that very little is really known why they do not live very long.

I always wanted to raise one- but after reading about their life cycle, nope- no thanks. I just simply couldnt watch the poor critter starve to death, I would have to euthanize it.

I was over at the #1 octo site and they say that they do a catch/release every april/may so that they can breed and then let nature take it's course- I guess that isnt so bad.

BTW, where do you think this intelect comes from- natural I am sure, but there must be more to this. Look at humanity, we certainly were not the first here but we have intelect and there fore longivity. Seems Darwin was wrong when one considers the octopus.

Things that make ya go....hmmmm?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Thanks for sharing. The link where the Octopus took the lid off the jar is just amazing my jaw hit the floor.

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I also saw on a documentary that they are aware of there size and what they can manage to fit through. Had one in a box with two small holes, one the squid would fit through and one it wouldn't, and it felt the holes then picked the one it would fit through. Also had one in a box with a hole it wouldn't fit through and it felt the hole knew it wouldn't fit and didn't even try.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk