Ocellaris Clown - Skin disease/bacterial infection on jaw!!? Can anyone identify it?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by CraiginDubai, Oct 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CraiginDubai

CraiginDubai Plankton

Hi all,

New to 3reef and need some help already! I am new to keeping a marine aquarium and am already facing problems, main tank is 50g, live rock, small anemone and recently introduced first leather and mushroom coral.

I have 1 blue/green chromis, 1 small Naso Tang and 1 Ocellaris Clown. All are currently in QT as I lost an Ocellaris Clown last week and i'm pretty sure it was down to Brookynella brought in from a questionable fish store (all fish were fine until the 2 clowns arrived, 1 of them died within 48 hours of introduction to the QT tank. I also had noticed a pinched stomach on my Naso Tang and he has been losing weight over the past weeks despite eating, although not heavily.

So decided to put all fish through copper treatment in QT and allow my main tank to cycle for min 4 weeks to run out the life cycle of any unwanted organism that may be in my tank. Hoping to rid myself of problematic organisms and get on with developing my mini underwater world.

But the main issue for this thread is to see if anyone can identify the dark growth that is on my remaining Ocellaris Clown's chin! He had a tiny black dot on his chin when I purchased him and was told that it was nothing to worry about (how wrong was I) and it has since grown into this...

I have no idea what it is despite lots of research. He is with the other fish in the QT and has been exposed to copper for 5 days now. It is showing no real signs of improvement but not getting any worse either. He outlived the other Clowny and seems to be fine apart from the growth and he doesn't seem to eat a great deal at all... but he has been with us for nearly 2 weeks so must be feeding to some point!

Any help/advice/guidance would be unbelievably appreciated...seems I am getting a baptism of fire to this new hobby... but I am hooked and want so desperately to create an amazing and healthy little underwater world at home!

Cheers

Craig

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looks like a possible parasite. I would QT the fish and use copper in the water to kill the parasite.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

hmmmm...........following along to see. I have no clue. But I bet Cheryl is right, isopod

6. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Just out of curiosity how long do the copper treatments take to kill inverts?