Oceanic salt and Calcium

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Black_Raven, Mar 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

Im a fan of reef chrystals ....my params are always stable.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I used Oceanic for the first few months of my tank. What I found was that it kept my MG too high but it was fine for my ALK/CA. I now use Instant Ocean & dose to keep all params even.

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

used oceanic, just switched to salinity, did a 20% water change within 24 hours i can see a change in the corals. the ric's are showing more color and so are the zoo's. i can also say i love the container. they did a great job on that. no broken nails like when trying to pry the other open. i was already using some of the other aquavitro products. so the thought process was to stay with one line.
    Also plan on looking for aquavitro's equivalent to the brightwell products i have been using

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Isn't Oceanic rated at 500 or so on the bucket? I know it runs high. It works for some people because by the time you do a wc, the calcium has dropped, and the Oceanic salt will bring it back up. Works well if you know it beforehand and plan for it. It's also a case where more frequent, smaller wc's are a better idea.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i used oceanic because it was recommended to me years ago. i never researched it till recently. what i found has made me think maybe its time for a change. time will tell. but so far i like what i see

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  7. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I did go back to the lfs today and asked them to test their water they came back with a positive of 100 ppm of calcium coming out of their r/o system.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Then their RO system is totally ****ed. Get your own, they aren't maintaining theirs at all.

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Sounds like it's time to find a new LFS. You may as well be using tap water as I'm sure it can't be much worse than their RO water. And it's obvious they aren't softening their hard water before it goes through the RO system, as the calcium would be replaced with sodium or potassium ions.

11. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

They finally admitted, "We don't really test it or anything".

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, I am trying Oceanic out now. I need elevated levels of magnesium and I hope this will do the trick. I will of course supplement with kent tech M and other mag supps, as the tech m by itself ids pricey, especially wit 300g of water.

I could care about calcium levels as I run a calcium reactor. Alk is supposed to be good on oceanic too.