oceanic glass tank,scratch removal?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by suncom3, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suncom3

suncom3 Plankton

Hello,Its been 8 yrs since I last used this as a reef tank,the front face has alot of tiny scratches from cleaning and sand getting in the cleaning tool. is there anyway to sand,buff,fill these out? I read about this Micro Mesh - Google Search

but it looks like its made for acylic mostly? I also read about some resin filler that can be used on windshields? will this work inside a salt tank? Maybe the manufacturer of the tank could help with this,anyone have a link for them,I come up with nothing in Google

2. Click Here!

3. suncom3

suncom3 Plankton

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL I have used Duponts rubbing compound to remove more then a few scratched from glass tanks and also auto windshields as well from the wiper arm scoring them up. Just elbow grease is required . Many places sell a glass scratch removal kit with the different grades of buffing rouge .. Jewelers rouge is great for acrylics Drimmels are your friend just don't set in one spot to long

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Will that work for sand pitting on windsheilds too?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Sure will all it takes is time

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Makes me think of local nursury that had a beautiful 250+ SW gallon display tank put in.

Within a week it was scratched to hell because of ill informed employee glass "cleaning"

Made me want to throw up. [​IMG]

Have never been back to nursery since.

PS...If I was going to seriously get back into the hobby, I would seriously consider starting out with a new tank rather then with a 8 year old scratched up one...:-/

8. Click Here!

9. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

can you turn the tank and use the back side intead?

10. suncom3

suncom3 Plankton

This thing has been sittin there for that many yrs,and ive had no interest in putting it back together,I would never buy another one.It was set up for about 4 yrs and towards the end the algae just became more work than it was worth,it looked like crap 75% of the time. Ill run it this time untill that stuff starts to take over and if it cant be fixed easy,prolly just take it down and sell it,after a few years of lookin at even a great salt water setup I get over it and all the headache that comes with it,this time Im going to need some kind of automatic fish feeder,it was a pita to have to get people to feed them when i want to go out of town.

the tank have a corner drain that goes down to filter underneath with a spinner bar,nitrates must of loved it in there,so the tank cant be turned around,

Can you post up some links to that dupont stuff you used,Ill prolly need a buffer wheel I can put on a variable buffer or something to get this thing to look decent,im hoping the water will make the tiny ones not look as bad.

Im having to completely redo the hood as well,I custom made it out of press board and the paint gave up a few months before I took it down,its got super VHO lighting with 4 tubes 2 white 2 blue looks great but needs alot of work as well.

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:-[ In interest of future livestock, and your pocketbook, I am wondering if you should not rethink rebuilding tank at all.

Managing a SW system is allot of work, but comes with responsibility as well (not to mention a big hole in wallet to do right.)

Please take a look at and consider carefully:
    The Tao of Marine Aquaria (Tips for Our Hobby and Life)

(pay particular attention to chapters 2, 3 & 5)

Its your money.

But in this case, it may just be put to use better elsewhere. :-/

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  12. suncom3

suncom3 Plankton

this reads more like a collection of life lessons than information? some good stuff can be weeded out of it,lol All the big $ has been spent already,its just sitting there ready to be set up again. Im not playing the gambit of ridiculously priced fish again. Just alot of live rock and cheapy damsels and a yellow tang this go round I think. I think it will be easyer to not get sucked into the crazyness 2nd time around,the excitement of a new tank was my prob and most peoples prob,your own worst enemy.

Im a ocean person,surfer,standup jetski surfstyle,spearfisher,Dive every once in a while in the Caribbean. I consider those hobbies.A saltwater tank is just bringing a little bit of that home.

tangster...any links on that polish?