Oceanic 220 leaking

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by dienerman, Aug 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I just finished most of the basic stripping on the tank and am taking a break because its over 90 deg. in my garage! My plan is that once all the visible silicone is gone i am going to go over it with nail polish remover to make sure that everything is off and i have a pristine surface to work with. I did not anticipate using that much silicone! Looks like another run to the box store. I have GE #1 clear that I will be using . It will most likely sit for 2 weeks or so before I do any type of leak test. Nice to hear from people who have done the same and had no issues!!

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Im not too far from you. Drexel Hill. What LFS do you go to?

4. dienerman

Sorry for the delayed response.... yes you are very close!! I normally go to That Fish Place in Lancaster when i need something new and don't feel like ordering on line. It is also where I get most of my fish. For corals I go to ASR in Frazer which is a fantastic place. Mike is a great guy and very knowledgeable. He will frag things for you on request and hold specimens also. His prices are reasonable considering he has a store to run. He is in the process of setting up a $5-10 frag tank which should be nice. He has them now but they are scattered throughout his system and can be hard to find. I used to go to Jersey to a guy who ran a frag shop out of his garage named Zoanuts. His brother is doing it now and I have no experience with him one way or another but Sean was fantastic. I used to go to Captain Nemos occasionally but have not been happy with them at ll the last few times I've been.

Ballgame likes this.
  5. dienerman

Update.... the tank is stripped of all the silicone in the joints. I think I spent about 2 hours total working on it. All scraped with a razor blade to make sure that the glass is pristine. Then I went over everything with acetone to make sure that all the residue was gone, then over again with a razor blade. Next will be taping beside all the joints so I get a nice smooth line of silicone then I will seal the joints. Let dry for two weeks then I ll leak test it. Time will tell!

6. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Good luck. At least you can get inside it. I did a 225 that way but I had replaced one end panel. It was a chore but glad no did it. Never saw the tank setup either. I sold it a few weeks later as I got another system instead

7. dienerman

Hopefully I ll be able to stick with it!

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

What is GE #1, are you sure it's the 'right stuff'? LOt's of silicones out there.

YOu need the RTV 100 series

10. dienerman

It is my understanding that GE 1 is the same stuff. Has no additives or mildew killing stuff in it. Anyway, I just sealed the tank with it so i suppose I'll find out..... report details to follow......

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

That's what I used in all my tanks. RTV 108 is used to hold tanks together and is a stronger silicone. Since your resealing it, GE 1 will work.

12. dienerman

Thanks for the confidence boost! Now its just a matter of waiting......