Nuking live rock or boiling it?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by packagerat, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I am getting 110 lbs of live rock on Friday, (ordered online). My tank is not set up yet so it will be going into a 35 gal container for now. The guy said I should have it saltwater (obviously), a circulator, heater and light till my tank is ready to fill.
    I too am afraid of what lurks in the live rock, so, before I put it in the new tank, I should put it in FW for a while to kill any animals that might lurk in it? But will still retain the good bacteria?

2. Click Here!

3. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

IMO the freshwater dip would kill the bacteria within the live rock. If you just want dry live rock, its cheaper to order it that way and skip the frustration. I feel that anything besides a mantis shrimp is managable. If i were in your position I would cycle the tank exactly as the instructions said. After it cycles and before you put the rock into your tank, toss in a couple damsels. If the damsels survive, then you more than likely do not have a mantis shrimp. I know it sounds rough, but you will be killing thousands of critters if you freshwater dip the rocks. Good luck :)