Nuking live rock or boiling it?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by packagerat, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Yea no joke sostoudt, I'm thinking yard ornaments or just run cuprisorb until the cows come home!!! :cowboy:

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

im willing to bet if im patient enough i could leach all the copper out in a month or 2. but i propably shouldnt have suggested it to someone whos new. by the way i would only be using a fraction of the amount the medication tells you to use.

4. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

If you put the copper in with the live rock you are killing the things that make it live. I try to go as natural as possible in my tank. I do not bash anyone who uses chemicals to solve their problems. I just don't want to worry about any interactions with fish or coral. What works for one person does not work with everyone.

5. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

Is there a copper test?

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes there are test kits for copper

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Have you ever tried to remove copper sulfate from a bunch of copper poisoned rocks ? I have and a month or two was not long enough I simple tossed the box out about 100 lbs ruined .. It took me a yr to get the Phosphates out of the old rocks that had been in a high PO4 system for a few yrs a F/O with Grass all over it.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

ok copper is dangerous but what do yall think about this method through the live rock in to fresh water for a hour(i've once heard that fw wont kill the bacteria for a while). but this should kill any animals right?

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

copper is alot more dangerous then phosphate however theres a big difference between a dip and letting it sit in it for years

11. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Animals maybe, algae, no. Plenty of hair algae comes in through tap water after all, and it's fresh and treated like heck.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That is why I don't waste my money on LR. I find someone that is selling a bunch after getting out of the hobby (usually because of being impatience) and get it really cheap or buy base rock. If you want to blow your money on LR from a pet store then by all means do it. I'll spend my money on hardward to make a kick a@@ tank run maintenance free. ;D