Nuking live rock or boiling it?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by packagerat, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andrewjardin

andrewjardin Plankton

If you don't want to kill the good stuff on the rock try removing it the best you cant and icolating it, with any treatments needed. I'm a newb so just making suggestions here.

2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Most people nuke rock because of an algae problem. Simply scraping the rock won't remove the algae spores like boiling or nuking it will.

I vote for nuking it as well. Much less work and like Otty said, it does the same thing.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i never nuke or boil its called live rock becuase its alive, you do that and then its just dead rock. you might as well just buy base rock becuase youd be wasting your money. now you could quarentine the rock and treat with medication that kills parasites like a lil bit of copper. it will kill all the animals on the rock but that will atleast leave the good bacteria

edit: bad suggestion don't use copper

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  5. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

I have to agree with sostoudt. If you are afraid of bad hitchhikers then buy base rock. It is cheaper than lr.

6. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Don't use copper with sand or rock. It will absorb the copper and you'll have a big mess on your hands.

If you already have the rock nuke it, if you're buying rock get base rock.

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

anyone tried a microwave? sounds stupid I know but the term "Nuking" just made me think of it, heck their pretty cheap now I could buy one just to do this with lol

8. Click Here!

9. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

Copper is a nasty addition to any tank. Many coral, inverts and even fish are very sensitive to copper.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

thats why it kills the hitchhikers lol, now youd probably have to wash it real good after.

11. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

The copper leaches into the sand and rock. There is no washing it off. This is other reason not to buy lr. At the lfs they accept rocks from customers. There is no way of knowing what they have added to their water.

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

my advice is if your just setting this aquarium up don't do anything to the rock if your tank is already set up with live rock buy base rock.