Nuking live rock or boiling it?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by packagerat, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. packagerat

packagerat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Just curious if using Otty's nuking process is better then boiling the rock? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either process?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

bump! never nuked rock b4

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Boiling rock is messy I would think and would take alot longer than using the bleach method. I'd also be wary of filling up my house with the steam that would be produced from boiling live rock. Who knows what you'd be cooking up there and I'm sure it would stink to high heaven :) I'd just bleach the sucker(s).

6. packagerat

I have boiled in the past and yes it does smell!:eek: I boil it in the garage or outside in an old turkey frier pot.The process seems to me to be faster then bleaching cause I boil it then put in SW tub to cycle. I will have to give the bleaching a try to see the difference. Have a friend of a freind tearing down his tank and have access to 80 lbs of rock but it is full of green hair algae and aptaisa. Unfortunatly there is also some soft corals in the green mess. Some mushrooms and pulsing zenia.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just cut the softs off the rock and let them lay in some of the tank water just cut them right off the rock thats how I cut them to frag if that word even applies to soft corals like that ? One or tow of either will soon be more then you wanted

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It really matters how much rock you have to boil. With 100+ lbs you will have a big cooker or will use a heck of a lot of gas to do what bleach will. They both do the same thing.

10. packagerat

Otty

Good point, When I have boiled rock in the past it was in small amounts so it worked well.
    And the price of gas as we all know would be puttin the hurt on the wallet:eek:

11. reeflover1

reeflover1 Plankton

I may sound a little slow here. but why are we boiling LR.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

To kill every thing on it so that you can have a clean start on a tank. I use my own established LR and sand to seed rock. I don't want someone else's problems in my tank.